Oculus Drops Support for Windows 7 & 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I could see maybe Windows 7 because it is in extended support now but Windows 8.1 is still in main stream support for a while yet. I guess that does not mean anything any more to any of these companies. Heck even then Win 7 & Win 8.1 still have a huge user base much to Microsoft's dismay and they are trying their hardest to force people over to windows 10.

I like Windows 7 it still lets you run your computer the way you feel it should run Windows 10 has been slowly taking those freedoms away from the end user. I have both windows 7 & win 10 machines at work and only win 10 at home mainly because it seems if you want to play any games that are new you need win 10 when in fact most would run fine on windows 7 & 8.1.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Techy1966, I'm sure Oculus is basing this on hardware surveys taken from PC's with Oculus. If you're on a VR PC you're almost certainly on a pretty current higher end PC. Better than a GTX 1060-based device. I'm guessing they're seeing >99% of their users already being on Windows 10.

Actually, mainstream support for Windows 8.1 ended nearly half a year ago, on January 9th. It still has some years left of extended support though.

It says 95% right in the article. >_>

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
windows 10 is hell to deal with. every 6 months the major updates screws stuff up for me. How do I deal with that? I'm waiting for them to slow down on these big updates. I just want stability and don't care about a bunch of useless features I don't need. I like that windows 7 stays the same. I don't want to do a fresh install every 6 months to prevent any problems and I got too much stuff on my computer for that. If i switch to windows 10 I might just turn updates off just to make it easier.

Jun 28, 2018
I am wondering how much The micro$hits are paying Oculus to dump winders 8.1 and the superior winders 7 for their monstrosity winders 8.95.26, AKA winders 10. I hope Oculus has their Linux version ready to go because it will be a cold day at the micro$hit's kampus before winders 10 slithers its way in to any PC I have anything to do with.
James Byrd
<Personal email Redacted by Moderator>

bananaforscale

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016
Funny, dislikes by people who don't get that stability is a good thing. I'm not switching to Windows 10 until Microsoft manages to not screw up their updates for a reasonable period (let's say 18 months).

USAFRet

Titan

Worried about Windows 10, yet you post your personal email in a public Forum.
Genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.