OCZ Agility Make SSDs a Little More Affordable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]Nada. A 3.5 inch SSD would just largely be an empty box. The memory chips don't take up much space. They could make a 3.5" SSD drive with easily 2TB storage but then it would cost about 8 times what a 250GB SSD currently costs.[/citation]
Sounds like you are describing the OCZ Colossus coming out soon.

G

agree with mutantmagnet.
This generation is probably the first generation of SSD's that are worth looking into.

For reference, I had a Super Talent 32GB MLC SSD, one of the first of it's kind under $300 of a few years back. It took about 6 hours to get Win Vista installed, and even then, in Vista, installing large installer files (setup.exe or setup.msi) of programs, Vista would timeout the installer after a couple of minutes of 'no activity', while in fact the drive was so slow it could not load large installer files within that time limit.
The drive was good enough for booting an OS, and running software already installed on the drive, and performed much like old 4200rpm notebook HD's found in laptops of around 1996.
It was about 3 times cooler than my current Toshiba MK1234 drive (which I think is 5200rpm).

So in the end it was only good to run Linux from it (with noatime setting on). Those drives in the end came down to about $120 before they got discontinued; most of them where returns to the factory.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]agree with mutantmagnet.This generation is probably the first generation of SSD's that are worth looking into.[/citation]

I also have to agree. Ive been watching the technology closely and it never seemed worth it until now. Heck, if I didnt get the opportunity of getting 2 30gb Vertexs for the price of one, I probably wouldnt have taken the chance.. But I tell you what, it was DEFINITELY worth it.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
IMHO this is only attractive for laptops/notebooks, where even the newer laptop 7200RPM drives are slower than desktop drives. The 300GB VelociRaptor is the best overall deal for desktops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS