OCZ Agility Make SSDs a Little More Affordable

Status
Not open for further replies.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[I've seen some 64GB SSD priced at $140 on newegg. We definitely need a bench of SSD round up.]

4kb random read/write benchmark should be included

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
I have noticed that the prices for these drives has been dropping steadily hopefully by next year we will begin to see really affordable prices for them we all know ssd is the future for storage

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]alvine[/nom]$130 for 30gb is still high...thats $4.33 per gb[/citation]
Man, I would have loved paying $4.33 per GB back in the day (i.e. when 1GB drives first came out). Of course now with 2TB drives it's a ridiculous price. SSDs will still take a couple years to get to a realistic price/capacity.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
$219.99 for 60 GB is still expensive but certainly obtainable.

As the others have mentioned we need a benchamrk roundup, including a 4kb random read/write benchmark.

bl1ts

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
SSD is made for programs, not music//video dumps. 64gig is enough for any non professional programs. If your going in to high end video editing or processing pay the rate and get what you need other wise quit trying to make media servers off of SSD technology and just buy a portable HDD or one of those 2TB you've been talking about.

krazyderek

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
..... i second the vertex comment, this is almost the same price as the vertex series, maybe even a little more depending on the deal of the week, and we need to see some worst case random write numbers to support those speeds otherwise it's just marketing fluf

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
You guys realize those quoted prices are msrp, right? You can't compare that to whatever Newegg is charging for the Vertex. For a fair comparison, you need to stack it up against the Vertex's msrp. That should give you some idea what Newegg will charge for these.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
The important bit, of course, is the pricing: $129.99 for the 30 GB; $219.99 for 60 GB; and $349.99 for 120 GB. Still pricey, but no longer insane.
WTH? This is affordable? I found the 64GB G.Skill Falcon (faster and better) for $199.99 and the 128GB model for $319.99 on newegg. This is such a fail attempt by OCZ if this is really the retail prices.

G

Seems not very cost effective to me!
At this moment the only thing I could afford is the 30GB SSD, which probably is only good for notebooks or netbooks.
But then how much is the power requirement of this SSD?
Is it less than a 1,8"-2,5" lowpower HD for notebooks?

G

[citation][nom]blader15sk8[/nom]I have seen the Vertex series, with similar specs going for under/around $100 for the 30GB version, how is this cheaper?[/citation]
You can even find SSD drives cheaper than that!
It has to do with the read and write speed. The first generation of MLC SSD drives is virtually useless nowadays.
Sata 1,pata, or even worse zif connectors where about as slow as an SD card.
The first generation I knew, often had rates of upto 20MB/s read, and upto 8 MB write, which could drop downto 0,25MB/s when some random accessing and random writing was done at the same time.

Todays SSD's would be third generation (seen from Sata perspective), and operate near to perfect.
The only issue is that currently the software does not support defragging SSD's very well.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]You can even find SSD drives cheaper than that!It has to do with the read and write speed. The first generation of MLC SSD drives is virtually useless nowadays.Sata 1,pata, or even worse zif connectors where about as slow as an SD card.The first generation I knew, often had rates of upto 20MB/s read, and upto 8 MB write, which could drop downto 0,25MB/s when some random accessing and random writing was done at the same time.Todays SSD's would be third generation (seen from Sata perspective), and operate near to perfect.The only issue is that currently the software does not support defragging SSD's very well.[/citation]
Sounds good. More detail please.

baov

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]bl1ts[/nom]SSD is made for programs, not music//video dumps. 64gig is enough for any non professional programs.[/citation]
That's what i thought when i bought my 64gig ssd, until i saw the 15gigs of WoW.

G

"That's what i thought when i bought my 64gig ssd, until i saw the 15gigs of WoW."
Pherps you should consider NTFS linked directory with host SSD and linked HDD? Neverless SSD advance in size/price slowly than Content makers consume it

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]I am really curious to see what a 3.5 inch drive could do to the cost of SSD.[/citation]

Nada. A 3.5 inch SSD would just largely be an empty box. The memory chips don't take up much space. They could make a 3.5" SSD drive with easily 2TB storage but then it would cost about 8 times what a 250GB SSD currently costs.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]TemjinGold[/nom]You guys realize those quoted prices are msrp, right? You can't compare that to whatever Newegg is charging for the Vertex. For a fair comparison, you need to stack it up against the Vertex's msrp. That should give you some idea what Newegg will charge for these.[/citation]

This guy is right. Those of you who keep quoting Newegg prices for SSDs saying how much cheaper they are, are not looking at the whole picture. I can bet you these will retail for less than the prices quoted in the article.

Whether they will be cheaper than the Vertex series or not, is up for a guess at the moment, but we'll see once Newegg has some stock of the Agility drives.

mutantmagnet

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
"You can SSDs cheaper than that."

This is true but all of those are crap for too many reasons to list. The baseline for SSDs decent enough to use are SSDs with Indilix controllers such as the OCZ Vertex. After that you have to look for SSDs with Samsung controllers like the Corsair P256 or Intel controllers like the Kingston M series or the Fusion-io controller like the ioxtreme that is coming out soon.

Going for cheaper SSDs than the types mentioned expose you to the risk of getting a drive that eventually performs worse than a vastly cheaper HDD. What's the point of an SSD if that happens?

"You guys realize those quoted prices are msrp, right? You can't compare that to whatever Newegg is charging for the Vertex"

Exactly. The Agility is the vertex with a Jmicron controller in addition to an indilix controller which allows them to reduce the cost by 10%.

Personally 10% cost cutting is not aggressive at all (17% would be decent)but don't expect the agility to sell for more than the Vertex when being sold by the same vendor. If you see that happening they are ripping you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.