OCZ Announces Vertex 2 and Agility 2 SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
If prices are right, Intel will finally have a legitimate competitor. Vertex wasn't ever quite as fast and especially pricey lately.

At this point though, the market doesn't need faster drives, but cheaper drives.

G

Price? SSD should become cheaper! Intel already has 34nm.
6Gbps should be standard as Micron 34nm chips are already breaking the 300mb/s barrier with 355mb/s transfer rate, Crucial RealSSD C300 .

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I'm always tempted to jump on SSD deals when they pop up, but I just can't bring myself to do it since they're advancing so rapidly. When will the curve flatten out so I can hop on the bandwagon?!

universalremonster

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
At this point though, the market doesn't need faster drives, but cheaper drives

I'm with ya brother.

I haven't made the SSD jump just yet but I think OCZ has really caught my attention the most. For the performace and size, the Agility series seems to have some great prices compared to the competition. They are one of the few that have gotten well below the $3/GB range in a useful capacity. Not long ago they had the 60GB for $129.00 on the Egg. We aren't far off...Q3-Q4 this year I really hope we will see more significant price drops with the new NAND tech coming out....Just in time to tell Santa what I want for Christmas =)

madman322

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
At this point though, the market doesn't need faster drives, but cheaper drives

Agreed, but at the same time, as these new drives continue to release, the price of the older models decreases. Seems like a win-win to me even if these drives are a bit pricey when they debut. The progression of ssd's is pretty rapid so I can hope that these new releases will bring the price down so those on the fence consumers (like myself) can finally take the ssd plunge.

G

SSD becomes faster exponentially, when SSDs were just out, we had speeds right under 200mb/s, now we are with 355mb/s

X-Nemesis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I still don't get this so can someone explain please. A good ssd from what I've come to understand generally make's many things on an OS instant or almost instant. And these are with the current batch that are around 200/150 or something like that. So how much more instant can a drive that's 350/280 or 270/270 really be, and how will us mere mortal's perceive this in everyday operations?

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]X-Nemesis[/nom]I still don't get this so can someone explain please. A good ssd from what I've come to understand generally make's many things on an OS instant or almost instant. And these are with the current batch that are around 200/150 or something like that. So how much more instant can a drive that's 350/280 or 270/270 really be, and how will us mere mortal's perceive this in everyday operations?[/citation]

The main thing with the faster drives is the game performance and file copy times. Since a current drive delivers very quick responses in things like opening applications and starting your computer you might not notice any speed boost when it comes to those things with the new drives. But if you are playing a game and the load times for a level are say 12 sec with a current ssd a faster one can improve on that quite a bit... Plus one has to assume that later games will involve longer loads which means you'll need a faster hard drive sooner rather than later. But I do understand your point... the current drives access time is sub 1ms and the transfer rates are double what they are on a standard spindle drive which makes them seem almost instantaneous so why go any faster... Well as the fighter pilots always say... speed is life.

GullLars

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
And random read IOPS? Seriously, it's nice they finally started listing random write IOPS, but they can't just drop random read at the same time.

banthracis

Distinguished
[citation][nom]UmeNNis[/nom]eh... I'll take the new Raptor for now. I'll give SSD's another yearish.[/citation]

Hate to break it you, but a $89 1TB Spinpoint F3 beats a $300 300gb Raptor hands down.

A raptor is the biggest waste of money on the market right now. But, guess thanks to marketing people like you would pay more money for less performance AND less space.

=on&prod[2770]=on&prod[2367]=on]http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/compare,1010.html?prod[3016]=on&prod[2770]=on&prod[2367]=on

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
If you can't wait 30 seconds for Windows to load, than you're in too much of a hurry. In the time it takes my p.c. to get to desktop, I can:

1. Pour a cup of coffee
2. Pick my nose
3. Adjust my chair
4. Look out the window
5. Wonder about the meaning of life

If I bought a SSD, I wouldn't have the time to do all that! Anyway, prices are still way too high.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]If you can't wait 30 seconds for Windows to load, than you're in too much of a hurry. In the time it takes my p.c. to get to desktop, I can:1. Pour a cup of coffee2. Pick my nose3. Adjust my chair4. Look out the window5. Wonder about the meaning of lifeIf I bought a SSD, I wouldn't have the time to do all that! Anyway, prices are still way too high.[/citation]We live in an "instant" society, unfortunately. So much of this is lost compared to 5 or 10 years ago. Particularly, we need more of 4 and 5 and less of 2 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.