OCZ: Die Shrink Will Lead to Cheaper SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncrdrg

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
That is awesome news. I'm only a few months away from pulling the trigger on replacing a few of my drives with SSD ones. Making them cheaper would be great for any future upgrade I have. I can't possibly afford to replace my 1TB drive with a SSD solution as it currently stands.

Swindez95

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but before some of you pull the trigger on the new 25nm drives, the performance is lacking right now.

Here is the article at overclockers

This could be solved by a later firmware update maybe but this looks to be a hardware issue as preliminary assumptions consider the fact that since OCZ now only has to use half as many chips for the same capacity as the older drives, that equates to half as many channels to write to and read from.

These observations appear true as the benchmarks show about a write speed of half the previous generation and the 4k32d reads are half as FAST as well.

EDIT - Ooops I put half as slow when I meant to say half as fast as the previous drives. Sorry for the confusion.

tychoblu

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Swindez95[/nom]I hate to be the bearer of bad news but before some of you pull the trigger on the new 25nm drives, the performance is lacking right now.Here is the article at overclockersThis could be solved by a later firmware update maybe but this looks to be a hardware issue as preliminary assumptions consider the fact that since OCZ now only has to use half as many chips for the same capacity as the older drives, that equates to half as many channels to write to and read from.These observations appear true as the benchmarks show about a write speed of half the previous generation and the 4k32d reads are half as slow as well.[/citation]
Half as slow?

We needs trim support for ssd raids.

About time. I've bought a couple of smaller SSD's for local image storage and deployment, and booting my laptop. They filled up very quickly. I then realized how much money I had wasted on them. Cheaper SSD's can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Presumably 2X refers to all fabrication processes between 30nm and 20nm, such as 28nm and 25nm, and everything I've heard say that OCZ is moving to 25nm and so is Intel. So yeah 32nm->25nm.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Ncrdrg[/nom]That is awesome news. I'm only a few months away from pulling the trigger on replacing a few of my drives with SSD ones. Making them cheaper would be great for any future upgrade I have. I can't possibly afford to replace my 1TB drive with a SSD solution as it currently stands.[/citation]
You shouldn't strive to put all your data on SSD, for a home system, unless you have some really compelling reason to do so. You use an SSD for your primary drive, or "boot drive". It hosts your OS, your pagefile, and all of your commonly used software/files. You use a larger, slower, HDD for storing data that is accessed infrequently. In other words, a secondary storage drive, such as a 1TB+ HDD. It is much cheaper this way, and just as fast. If data reliability is your thing, than you can backup to an external HDD, NAS, or server too.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]IN OTHER NEWS, WATER IS WET!*facepalm*of course it will LEAD to cheaper SSD's.. but that doesn't make them affordable now. maybe in a year or two.[/citation]
This is not necessarily true. Companies typically take it as extra margin and market new features and/or better performance to keep the price up.

G

You pay for performance. The performance you get for the price is good.

So stop being cheap. SSD are not outragous anymore.

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]Swindez95[/nom]I hate to be the bearer of bad news but before some of you pull the trigger on the new 25nm drives, the performance is lacking right now.Here is the article at overclockersThis could be solved by a later firmware update maybe but this looks to be a hardware issue as preliminary assumptions consider the fact that since OCZ now only has to use half as many chips for the same capacity as the older drives, that equates to half as many channels to write to and read from.These observations appear true as the benchmarks show about a write speed of half the previous generation and the 4k32d reads are half as FAST as well.[/citation]

Thanks for the info. I definitely won't be buying this product until it meets the high specs I demand of it.

m0j0j0j0

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
yea, ssd's are wayyy too damn expensive at the moment, i would totally love one.

The most attractive SSD to me is the RevoDrive x2 it hooks into a pci x4 slot,

the price tag is crazy for anything big though, if im not mistaken 500gb was 3000 or something

Status
Not open for further replies.