OCZ Issues Destructive Firmware for Octane Speed Increase

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least they are fixing their problem even if it's an inconvenient fix to apply. I'd still never spend that much money on a drive that's still that slow but I do respect the large performance increase anyway. Makes me feel better about their controller knowing it's capable of okay performance without resorting to compression like Sandforce. It may become a decent part of the non Sandforce SSDs but the current ones (Crucial m4, Samsung 830 if I remember correctly) still seem better than it.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
1) Windows PE, Bart PE, or whatever PE you want.
2) External hard drive that's larger than your SSD
3) Symantec Ghost 11.5.1 (or better)
4) Local Disk to Image
5) Select SSD
6) Select folder on external hard drive
7) ?????
8) Profit!

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Afterwards, flash your SSD, and then:
1) Back to PE
2) Plug in external hard drive
3) Launch Ghost
4) Local Disk FROM Image
5) Select the .gho file from your external hard drive
6) Select SSD
7) ??????
8) Moar profit!

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]reinstall OS and all software I guess... way too much trouble. I'd rather leave it alone until the next upgrade is due anyway. Than I'd delete the drive, upgrade the firmware and use it as a spare or something.[/citation]

With the price of these drives, I do not understand why you would not want to get the most out of it. A flash that completely clears the drive out is very big update. If you don't like to have to reinstall everything then make a image of your system. the capability is built right into Windows 7 and has been there since Vista. Make an image, store it on second drive or external drive then do the flash and then restore your system. Go watch tv or something why you are waiting.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
i currently have everything on a 1T HDD, so if I bought a SSD (just for the OS and as a boot drive), is there any sort of way for me to just copy the OS part on my current HDD?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I wanna move the OS from my current HDD to the SSD, then remove the OS from the original HDD and just use that HDD for storage. Any way for me to do that without reformatting or reinstalling all the programs I currently own? If not...someone start a company and get on this!!!

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]i currently have everything on a 1T HDD, so if I bought a SSD (just for the OS and as a boot drive), is there any sort of way for me to just copy the OS part on my current HDD?I guess what I'm trying to say is, I wanna move the OS from my current HDD to the SSD, then remove the OS from the original HDD and just use that HDD for storage. Any way for me to do that without reformatting or reinstalling all the programs I currently own? If not...someone start a company and get on this!!![/citation]

Acronis TrueImage and Acronis Disk Director can handle pretty much everything you can think of. Resizing partitions without destroying data, moving to new hard drives of different sizes, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS