OCZ joins the mSATA SSD Battlefield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomsy2006

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Nocti 120GB looks like the way to go.....wish I could acquire or test one and have it be free....I'd send it back I swear!

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Looking at this boards somehow it gives me hope that this tech will find its way into Motherboards in the not so distant future.

Yes, integrated SSD's into the Motherboard.

G

Gigabyte and others have offered mobos with slots for these for several months now. If that is what drwho1 was wishing for.

yonef

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
@ maako, bulkzerker: you need to read up your tech!
for example samsung spinpoint F4 cost 30% less and easy averages read&write speeds at ~130Mb/s http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/73/65320498.jpg
velociRaptors are even faster.

Not to mention that for £73 (which is the cost of this OCZ) you'll rather get Crucial RealSSD M4 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-008-CR&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=910
with new firmware it reaches 550 MB/s sustained speed and 50000+ IOPS (not 1500 like OCZ)!! OMFG - velociraptor drives has better IOPS than this ****. What about USB3 flash drives: they got even more IOPS than this so called ssd !
Plus avoiding OCZ is my moto, as I already RMAed 4 PSUs(650 W), two memory modules, and one ssd drive(vertex 2 128 GB)! I had 100% fail rate on various OCZ products.

Google aroud and you wont find any other ssd drive slower than this, but you'll definitelly find cheaper one!

G

@ yonef : Read/write speeds aren't all what SSDs are about. You get them for the crazy fast access times, which HDDs can't come close to matching.

Your comparisons don't make sense anyway. This is for the portable sector. You wouldn't slam a mobile GPU just because there's tons of discreet ones that can beat it. Are you seriously implying that a 3.5in HDD will fit in a laptop?

These are designed as small drop in upgrades for users who want an SSD boot disk along with another drive. Sure, you could put the m4 in and get better speeds, but most laptops don't have 2 drive slots. There are plenty of slower SSDs - these will be the fastest mSATA drives on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.