OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid vs. Intel Z68 SSD Caching

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
like i said in the last one, the speculated price of the hdd strapped to the ssd makes it a crappy option, it puts the ssd at 5$ a gb, if they could get it down to 2 or 3$ a gb, thats a different story, but this thing just add a mechanical storage device to a pcie slot and gives you mid teir ssd for top teir (consumer) prices.

the other 2 drives are far more interesting.

kristoffe

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 15, 2010
also, when did engineers at ocz forget that the dynamics of a hard drive do not enjoy being mounted upside down? I have even seen dell towers with a flipped hdd belly up. really?

mdahouse

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
[citation][nom]kristoffe[/nom]also, when did engineers at ocz forget that the dynamics of a hard drive do not enjoy being mounted upside down? I have even seen dell towers with a flipped hdd belly up. really?[/citation]
I've never heard that HDD have to be mounted a certain way up. All of the laptops I've every owned have had the HDD mounted with the circuit board facing upwards.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]kristoffe[/nom]also, when did engineers at ocz forget that the dynamics of a hard drive do not enjoy being mounted upside down? I have even seen dell towers with a flipped hdd belly up. really?[/citation]
i don't think it really matters, at least not in laptop hdd, the arms are flexible enough to cope with the gravitational pull...at least that's what i think

lelutinbanni

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]forget $5, $3 or even $2 per GB, until SSD's reaches $1 or LESS per GB I'm not interested.[/citation]

AMEN

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Ya PCIE SSD solutions...are kinda meh, difficult to boot from, and more importantly, for a good number of enthusiasts you lose a pcie slot...ie 1 less vid card, many people nowadays go SLI and Crossfire, ill stick with SATA3 SSD...

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Why'd they force the use of a small, comparatively-slow laptop drive when they could have simply put on a SATA 3 port instead of mounting a 2.5 drive, and let the buyer mount a HDD of choice to the case? Their approach just seems like more design work for limited (if any) incremental value.

LordConrad

Distinguished
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]forget $5, $3 or even $2 per GB, until SSD's reaches $1 or LESS per GB I'm not interested.[/citation]
Too bad for you then, because the Vertex 2 in my laptop is screaming fast and I'm loving it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]Too bad for you then, because the Vertex 2 in my laptop is screaming fast and I'm loving it.[/citation]

they are good, but to expensive for my needs. i need a 250gb drive, the no seek time is the reason, crap takes to long to load, just moving between folders.

i also need another 1tb minimum, again takes to damn long to load things, from a seek prospective.

G

Quotes I've seen on other sites indicate that the 500GB HDD + 120GB SSd will go for around $350. So check the math: OCZ is offering 500GB of SSD-level performance for $350, that works out to less than $0.75/GB. Awesome!!

regtom

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i need a 250gb drive, the no seek time is the reason, crap takes to long to load, just moving between folders. i also need another 1tb minimum, again takes to damn long to load things, from a seek prospective.[/citation]

huh? I think that this exactly what the RevoDrive Hybrid solution provides .. makes the whole HDD capacity feel like an SSD? So, you can have 250G or even 1T with no seek time, no long loads.

If the whole storage capacity (1TB HDD + 60GB SSD cache) is @ $400 or $500 ... you are effectively getting SSD performance for $0.50 per GB or LESS. Sweet!!

[citation][nom]Kaiser_25[/nom]Ya PCIE SSD solutions...are kinda meh, difficult to boot from, and more importantly, for a good number of enthusiasts you lose a pcie slot...ie 1 less vid card, many people nowadays go SLI and Crossfire, ill stick with SATA3 SSD...[/citation]

That makes no sense. This one doesn't use a full-size PCIe slot. Since when did graphic cards use a x1 or x2 slot?

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]they are good, but to expensive for my needs. i need a 250gb drive, the no seek time is the reason, crap takes to long to load, just moving between folders. i also need another 1tb minimum, again takes to damn long to load things, from a seek prospective.[/citation]What kind of seek times are you looking for? Are you using huge databases? Because my RAID0 beats most single drives by a longshot as far as opening any files, programs, or booting windows. (It would do worse in IOPS intensive applications).

Status
Not open for further replies.