OCZ to Stop Memory Biz, Focusing on SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
"OCZ said that its DRAM products are now expected to have minimal, if any, sales in the next fiscal year and beyond."

Because when the quality of your products goes down relative to the price of competing products, well, that's what happens.

Too bad- OCZ was one of the top-tier manufacturers of RAM, but not anymore.

Whether or not they'll pull a BFG on lifetime warranties on these DRAMs remains to be seen, I guess.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
A while ago when I was on my first build, I made the mistake of buying some OCZ ram. It didnt work and the rma didnt work. I guess their right for leaving becuase their ram wasthe worst that it gets.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Never have used OCZ ram, Usually stuck with Mushkin or Crucial on the high end or G.Skill/Kingston on the mid range. If I did a budget build, I usually went Adata. Still using my DDR2 1066 Mushkin Blackline Ram that I got a couple years ago, with my current x6 1090T build and it chugs along good and even takes OCing well at stock volts.

But, at least they still make decent PSU rebadges and good SSD's.

garlik_bread

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
As LuckyDucky has said, I wonder how this will affect the OCZ lifetime warranties.

I had to warranty some OCZ Platinum DDR2 a while back and was actually quite impressed with the service.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Too bad- OCZ was one of the top-tier manufacturers of RAM, but not anymore.[/citation]

I think this is good news really. OCZ modules have been plagued by compatibility issues and failure to perform to spec since 2004 or so.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]I think this is good news really. OCZ modules have been plagued by compatibility issues and failure to perform to spec since 2004 or so.[/citation]They were specific models. Granted, there were quite a few, but they were easy to pick out via ratings/reviews on Newegg.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I've been using 2GB of their Gold and 4GB of their Fatal1ty RAM for a few years now and have no complaints. I bought it because at the time DDR3 was still pretty new and they had the best timings to price (their Platinum RAM was the fastest on the market at the time with timings as low as DDR2, but for $100 more, no thank you). Oh well, I guess I'll buy RAM from like the forty other manufactures.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
well with ram prices afalling you knew some manifacturer's were gonna leave the market... didn't see ocz being one of em... but what can ya do guess prices will start going up again with a fairly big player stepping out of the market there goes some supply

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I did not read all the thought. But I had OCZ memory, once and it was junk
after three RMA,... I told them to keep the reaper and give me basic memory.
So 128 dollars for two gigs of standard ddr2. Now that was two years ago. none the less havent though of ocz since then.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
"SSD revenue accounted for 78-percent of our revenue and just by itself exceeds our historical quarterly revenue totals across all categories, thus reinforcing our decision to discontinue our remaining DRAM products."

Blatantly telling the world SSD's are overpriced, nice.

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Okay a quick check at my favorite vendor reveals they haqve no memory to suit my next purchase, at all. An older slower more expensive kit that was close, but sold out and 140$ more than competitors. Yes if you aren't in to win the niche or value race in american markets you might as well throw in the towel.
The kit searched for: desktop DDR3 1600 at cas 8 2x4gb kits =~160$
was planning on running at pc 1564, 8-8-8-22, 1.6 v I can tweek on that some if a paticular kit won't go there.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This doesn't surprise me, the DRAM market is definitely extremely competitive and volatile making the margins too low to make much money. Best of luck on your SSDs OCZ.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Despite the fact that I did like and user OCZ RAM, I see how the margins make sense for SSDs

Can't say I'll complain about OCZ and SSDs - they've been making fantastic drives recently.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Doesn't make me sad at all.
I bought a 3x2GB 1600 set, and within a month one stick turned unstable, and at Cas9 1600 as they were advertised, the max I can run the remaining two is Cas9 1400.
I bought 6GB of 1600, and I run 4GB at 1400.

Byebye OCZ, won't miss you.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]"OCZ said that its DRAM products are now expected to have minimal, if any, sales in the next fiscal year and beyond."Because when the quality of your products goes down relative to the price of competing products, well, that's what happens.Too bad- OCZ was one of the top-tier manufacturers of RAM, but not anymore.Whether or not they'll pull a BFG on lifetime warranties on these DRAMs remains to be seen, I guess.[/citation]

Or, perhaps the DRAM market is absolutely flooded by many manufacturers that they ran the numbers and saw a little not even worthwhile gain.

Convientiely enough, you must have missed the article earlier in the week with regards to the DRAM market.

G

If you look on newegg at OCZ's memory kits they are rated worse than other kits. Most complaints are about platform incompatibilities or failure to run at rated speed.

rrplay

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
OCZ memory modules were never on my short list to use. but I am definitely interested in what the are working on with SSD 's especially the Revo drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.