Odd beep codes

Techn9ne1730

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Just got a new cpu(i7 2500K) and mobo(msi P67A-G45) got it all hooked up,power up for the first time and got odd beep codes. I say odd because it doesnt fit with any of the beep codes i found. The pattern is 1 short, 2 short, 1 short(but the tone is diffrent) and then it does 5 or 6 real quick beeps. I tried pulling bot ram sticks, but then the system powers up, then shuts down a few seconds latter. Then it starts in up and shuts down as if there was a short but as long a ram stick is installed, it gives the beeps.Tried removing a singlenram stick. Same beeps. Tried the samenthing with diffrent ram, same beeps. Tried removing the video card, same beeps. Am I interpreting the beep codes wrong? Any suggestions on what to try?

Is it possible to see a Video of the rig starting up and trying to post on utube?
If so, that would help us decipher what the beep codes might be.
A siren like beeping sound is for CPU overheating immediately at startup.Firstly clear the CMOS. I would suggest removing everything and the Mobo out of the rig, placing it on a insulated top, reseating the CPU and HSF assembly and trying it on.
If you don't get any error beep codes after that, insert one stick of RAM make sure it's fixed right and give it a boot up, still no beep error, Insert the GPU and give it a go..... put a monitor on and check to see if you can boot into the BIOS.
And by the way what RAM modules are you using, Make and full model number would be needed.

Techn9ne1730

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I can grab some audio of it sure, but i dont think the cpu is overheating because try he rig is turning on and stays on if ram is installed. Only when no ram is installed does it start and stop.

Techn9ne1730

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009

Could you elaborate on why you think it is try he vido card? Should I use a qtip with 91 percent alcohol?

It staying on is a sign of the CPU not overheating, right, but we'd still like to be sure there no loose contacts or a problem with the placement of the CPU in it's slot, thus, the need to redo the whole rig outside the case, that, will also clear a doubt about there being a short on the backside of the mobo.
And to eliminate the possibility of it being the GPU we try the GPU last , especially since we could also have a defective PCIe slot.
If the first method does not work out, then you're supposed to be trying the GPU in the Next PCIe slot and seeing what happens.
And good that we came back, just check if the CPU HSF is connected to the CPUFAN header on the Mobo and not to the SYSFAN4 header that is right next to it.

Techn9ne1730

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
http://db.tt/L9VFRoBV
Hopecully this dropbox link works. It might be a bit quist bu try I can hear all the beeps. At the tike of recording one ram stick and the cpu was installed. Nothing more. The ram stick is a 4GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 1333 if memorey serves me right and the other set of sticks are 2GB G.Skill ripjaws

That is 5 Short Beeps.... Processor Failure....
Follow the above mentioned procedure... remove everything, AND reseat the CPU and HSF assembly. And remember to clear CMOS before the first boot into BIOS.

LOL!! And forget about the damn GPU.... you aren't POSTING.... how does the GPU come into play altogether???

And use just 1 Stick or RAM.