Odd framedropping experience after upgrading GPU

Aug 4, 2018
Bought a used gtx 1060 from microcenter today and I'm experiencing random frame drops. Wondering what this could be a symptom of. I'm partly suspecting the 1060 is strong arming my AMD FX 8320 but I'm not entirely sure

Solution
then time to invest for new platform. similar thing happen to me in the past when upgrading my GPU from GTS250 to GTX460. with GTS250 i can get 55-60FPS. but with GTX460 there are times my frame rate would drop as low as 40FPS. lucky for me overclocking my E7500 solve the problem.
I'd use MSI Afterburner or similar software to monitor CPU and GPU usage while you run your games. Does either one hit 100% when the framedrop happens? Also, use the software to monitor temperatures. The CPU in particular can get hot.

Finally, test more than one game if you already haven't. That way you can rule out this being a game specific issue. I assume you uninstalled the old drivers and installed the new ones.

Aug 4, 2018

It seems to be a combo of both? No temp issues however, my cpu will sometimes hit max load then throttle itself. My gpu seems to throttle itself more frequently but for a much shorter burst of time resulting in tiny frame drops and stutters. I've tested this on a couple different games, CSGO, and The Witcher 3 mainly. Drivers have were wiped clean and I installed new ones but it resulted in no change.

Aug 4, 2018

I tried that and it only resulted in a worse outcome with the cpu constantly running at 100% load only to throttle and do it all over again

then time to invest for new platform. similar thing happen to me in the past when upgrading my GPU from GTS250 to GTX460. with GTS250 i can get 55-60FPS. but with GTX460 there are times my frame rate would drop as low as 40FPS. lucky for me overclocking my E7500 solve the problem.

Solution