Odd HD behaviour

spax1981

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm just looking for some help with my Hard disc. It seems to perform poorly. Long windows load time, sometimes it has a wait time when something else is loading etc.

The drive in question is a Western Digital Caviar Green 2tb. According to HDTune the transfer rate is minimum 0.6mb, maximum 122.6mb average 82.6mb. Looking at the graph though this isn't a smooth(ish) curver, it drops right down to the lowest quiet frequently.

Any ideas?

spax1981

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I've tried changing the cable to the drive but this made no difference. I've also changed the port on the motherboard it's using and no difference either.

I've run a test on a samsung drive in the same machine and it's much more stable. Windows is on the Western Digital drive though. Could windows cause this problem or is it worth me re-installing everything onto the Samsung drive

spax1981

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Ok, I've formatted my machine, and re-installed windows onto one of the samsung drives. I've re-run HDTune on here and it's performance has dropped compared to when Windows was not on it. Overall it's not as bad as the WD drive but I do still get drop offs in performance during the test going right down to around 4mbs.

It is simply Window being on the drive that causes its performance to be drained