Question Odd issue with new, cheap adapters ?

qwiktune

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
[Background] So i'm looking for a remedy to an odd issue I'm having with a USB port car charger and was hoping someone could shed some light. I have a brand name cigar lighter adapter I use to activate a small melody box when the car is turned on which works fine. I ordered a few cheap adapters from AliExpress as I make these boxes and want to sell em with the adapters.

However, these adapters do not work when I try them with the USB cable plugged fully in but if I just insert the tip of the USB plug in the slot it will work until I push the cable all the way in again. I have like 8 of these adapters and they all do the same thing and I've tried different USB cables with the same results. Why is this happening? Why does it work with just the tip of the usb port in but not the whole thing pushed in? Any ideas?

qwiktune

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
bad quality
You think theres anyway to fix it by messing with the USB slot pins or anything? Trying to find a good source for one of these usb cig lighter adapters cheaper to include with my project for sales, but everything i've gotten so far from AliExpress is the same story with this works with the tip inserted but doesnt when fully inserted lol.

"Charger" cables are extraordinarily low quality from most sources. If you use the data side, then most tend to have at most two strands of very thin copper (e.g., 32 gauge). You need to try different brands until you get one which is good, and then stick with that. I immediately suspect anything sold on AliExpress, but in the case of "charger" cables, I suspect those from anyone until proven to be of quality.

qwiktune

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
"Charger" cables are extraordinarily low quality from most sources. If you use the data side, then most tend to have at most two strands of very thin copper (e.g., 32 gauge). You need to try different brands until you get one which is good, and then stick with that. I immediately suspect anything sold on AliExpress, but in the case of "charger" cables, I suspect those from anyone until proven to be of quality.
The charger CABLE i'm using is a DJI cable that works with my device im testing on my computer (connects as external drive to drop mp3 files on it). But i've also tested other cables with the same result and all cables work with Duracell adapter so i'm concluing is that it has something to do with the adapter itself.

These AliExpress chargers seem to work with USBs fully inserted with another device like to slow charge a cell phone, could there be a correlation relating to a short voltage draw vs a constant draw for charging something that just doesnt work with these adapters. Or perhaps when fully inserted with these cheaper usb adapters it trying to connect as a data device and not just for power (similar to connecting it to a computer).

More explanation, this device is similar to those modules you use for greeting cards that play a tune. I've soldered the trigger that plays the sound file on the module to play when it receives power. I just cant wrap my head around why it works with one usb charger and not some others.

The charger CABLE i'm using is a DJI cable that works with my device im testing on my computer (connects as external drive to drop mp3 files on it). But i've also tested other cables with the same result and all cables work with Duracell adapter so i'm concluing is that it has something to do with the adapter itself.

These AliExpress chargers seem to work with USBs fully inserted with another device like to slow charge a cell phone, could there be a correlation relating to a short voltage draw vs a constant draw for charging something that just doesnt work with these adapters. Or perhaps when fully inserted with these cheaper usb adapters it trying to connect as a data device and not just for power (similar to connecting it to a computer).

More explanation, this device is similar to those modules you use for greeting cards that play a tune. I've soldered the trigger that plays the sound file on the module to play when it receives power. I just cant wrap my head around why it works with one usb charger and not some others.
DJI does have better quality cables (they're not just charger cables). Some of their embedded systems use a USB flash system, so they basically have to have better cables. I expect most AliExpress cables to "function", but not be able to sustain data rates. You'd have to get very lucky.

If you are actually powering over USB, and it isn't for data, then I would suspect the power source more than the cable. The cheap cables do not use much copper, but they do use more in the power wire (still not what they should use, but it works far more often than does the data side).

qwiktune

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
DJI does have better quality cables (they're not just charger cables). Some of their embedded systems use a USB flash system, so they basically have to have better cables. I expect most AliExpress cables to "function", but not be able to sustain data rates. You'd have to get very lucky.

If you are actually powering over USB, and it isn't for data, then I would suspect the power source more than the cable. The cheap cables do not use much copper, but they do use more in the power wire (still not what they should use, but it works far more often than does the data side).
I mean far as power we're prob talking 1 volt, its one of those greeting card melody modules. The USB cable that comes with it does work to connect it to the computer for transfer a mp3 to the module. After a little more testing I noticed something very weird. The USB cable with it, will work to trigger it with the Duracell cig adapter (and a couple other branded adapters), but only works with the tip in on the aliexpress adapters, HOWEVER, i have an old Eye Candy usb cable that will work with the aliexpress adapters pushed in fully. It seems that going through my random assortment of USB cables, limited few will work with the Aliexpress adapters, but the USB cables that come with the modules will work in other cig adapters, but not the aliexpress adapters. Further test shows a simliar same result with AC phone chargers as well....were the cable that came with it will work in some but not others. For instance a black samsung galaxy S8 charger it wont work with but and older white samsung (s5 perhaps) charger it does lol. I wish i knew what the hell was going on electronically, it really seems random. The problem is im looking for a cheap alternative cig lighter adapter that will work with the supplied USB cable ot inlcude for selling purposes or use the aliexpress cig adapter I do have, but find a cheap alternative USB cable thatll work with both the adapter and in a computer lol. Sorry if that was confusing, its just a really weird situation with no rhyme or reason with what adapter with work with what cables haha

I mean far as power we're prob talking 1 volt, its one of those greeting card melody modules. The USB cable that comes with it does work to connect it to the computer for transfer a mp3 to the module. After a little more testing I noticed something very weird. The USB cable with it, will work to trigger it with the Duracell cig adapter (and a couple other branded adapters), but only works with the tip in on the aliexpress adapters, HOWEVER, i have an old Eye Candy usb cable that will work with the aliexpress adapters pushed in fully. It seems that going through my random assortment of USB cables, limited few will work with the Aliexpress adapters, but the USB cables that come with the modules will work in other cig adapters, but not the aliexpress adapters. Further test shows a simliar same result with AC phone chargers as well....were the cable that came with it will work in some but not others. For instance a black samsung galaxy S8 charger it wont work with but and older white samsung (s5 perhaps) charger it does lol. I wish i knew what the hell was going on electronically, it really seems random. The problem is im looking for a cheap alternative cig lighter adapter that will work with the supplied USB cable ot inlcude for selling purposes or use the aliexpress cig adapter I do have, but find a cheap alternative USB cable thatll work with both the adapter and in a computer lol. Sorry if that was confusing, its just a really weird situation with no rhyme or reason with what adapter with work with what cables haha
I'd consider replacing the USB socket. I'm guessing you're talking about a micro-B or mini-B socket. Something from Digikey or one of the other vendors of higher quality USB connectors will probably matter. That is of course only if there is a connector on the device itself (soldering gets around that, but it doesn't necessarily meet RF standards for impedance). The reverse of this is if you are only powering this via the USB cable, then the soldered connection is likely superior.

qwiktune

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
I'd consider replacing the USB socket. I'm guessing you're talking about a micro-B or mini-B socket. Something from Digikey or one of the other vendors of higher quality USB connectors will probably matter. That is of course only if there is a connector on the device itself (soldering gets around that, but it doesn't necessarily meet RF standards for impedance). The reverse of this is if you are only powering this via the USB cable, then the soldered connection is likely superior.
Yeah theres a micro usb port on it that I connect for data transfer and power. It does have a separate power input on the board that just have a power/ground wire coming off it so i'd have to add a usb cable to it, but I didnt want to have another port/cable separate for power, but perhaps that the most effective way to solve the issue

Yeah theres a micro usb port on it that I connect for data transfer and power. It does have a separate power input on the board that just have a power/ground wire coming off it so i'd have to add a usb cable to it, but I didnt want to have another port/cable separate for power, but perhaps that the most effective way to solve the issue
You could still use a single socket, but I suggest replacing that socket with a quality one.