Question Odd large X's through start menu graphics.

frankpc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2015
I don't know how else to explain it. Please see attached graphic.

Does anyone know what is up with this? I've been seeing this for a couple of years. Nothing else seems to be affected by this. PC runs fine.

Thanks!

HdUD7ei.jpg

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Disable hardware acceleration in the browser as a work around.

Kind of remind me of vertex errors in GPUs, but they are so uniform and consistent that it makes me think more of a software issue.

Consider checking to see if your GPU has a vBIOS update available.

Reactions: frankpc

frankpc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2015
Not a browser. I get this to happen by placing my cursor in the 'Type here to search' entry point with the magnifying glass in the lower left hand corner of the desktop -- just to the right of the Windows icon

frankpc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2015
My 'GPU' is the embedded graphics HDMI out ... from the Intel processor.

I'll mess with the Intel driver icon and see if that affects this.

Seems you folks haven't seen this exact thing happen before. I know I haven't. I've been hoping for years that it would just go away.

frankpc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2015
Nothing appears unusual with the Intel graphics drivers.

This is my 'HTPC' and as such, I use it to listen to music, watch streaming stuff, watch music videos, PLEX, Jriver media, Foobar, Kodi ... None of that stuff is affected.

And I use 'Edge'. No graphics in the browser exhibit this condition.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Is that the start menu then? I would say you have a malware/adware problem then.

The desktop environment on modern Windows is generally rendered in 3D is my understanding. Sitting idle my computer is using between 6-15% of my integrated GPU.

When you say nothing unusual, that doesn't say much. Is it the most up to date version, or are you letting Windows handle your driver updates?

frankpc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2015
Another example that makes no sense... When I have 'Edge' open, and I place my cursor in the Search box, the graphics that show up in the search window all have the X's. But the graphics in Edge that show up behind the search window, are just fine.

A week ago, I added more RAM -- I have 24 GB. I had 8 GB. But the PC had the problem long before that. I say that just to point out that I did switch the RAM slots for the DDR4 memory. I don't know how the RAM used for graphics is selected, but, very likely, a different RAM stick is being used for the video now than it was a week ago. And there was no changes in this odd effect.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
About the only other thing I can think of would be to remove and re-insert the CPU. Inspect the pins for damage and check for any foreign debris. If you have a pin that should be carrying the data, say, where the corner of the area to fill in is transmitted, and it isn't getting through, might make it render incorrectly.

frankpc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2015
Yes. that is the start menu.

Yes. Windows handles the driver updates. And the Intel icon in the task bar does not indicate that any new drivers are available.

I use Windows Defender for my antivirus. I do run Malwarebytes now and then. I too think it is a malware or adware problem. I am running Malwarebytes right now just to be sure. The X's appear to be deliberate -- the "X's" are perfectly formed. I think it unlikely they would be shaped the way they are by chance.

Last edited:

frankpc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2015
I did remove and reinsert the processor several days ago. I reapplied the thermo grease and reattached the (air) cooler. I did a cursory look at the pins -- not a detailed look. But the computer is perhaps 8 or 10 years old. And the processor had not been removed during that entire time period.

Malwarebytes just finished. It detected no bad stuff. Nothing in quarantine and nothing ignored.

truly odd!

Thank you so much for the help and advice!