Question 7 of my 13 fans suddenly not seen by iCue

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
Had to restart my PC today for some random reason and when it came back on 7 of the 13 fans were lit up when they should be running dark at the moment. Checked in iCue and it said that the service had stopped running. Tried to restart the service and nothing would happen except the "restart service" button would be grayed out for a bit then come back on. Restarted my PC again since that was the trigger. Came back the same way. Did a Google search about it and found something that said to download the current version on iCue and tell it to "repair" instead of uninstall. Did that and now iCue looks a bit different but the problem persists. The error about the service is now gone.

While exploring how iCue now looks I notice that those 7 fans are not even showing up in the iCue software anymore. They are rotating and they are set to the previous ubiquitous purple color that some of the other profiles are set to. I set this system up 2 years ago and have of course now forgotten most of the inerworkings of the fans and iCue software. Though I sometimes like to see the colors the vast majority of the time I want them to be DARK since they sort of detract from playing games and keep me awake at night lol.

If anyone can give me some ideas to work with I'd be greatful!

Side note: The only other issue with this system recently is that I had to replace the CPU as it slowly (over about a month) died last October. I wore myself out troubleshooting that fiasco and ended up just shelving my system, to recover my mental health, for about 6 months. Last month I finally decided to just buy another CPU, to check if that was indeed what had died, and it booted right up no problem. Have since RMAed the original one since it is under warranty until the middle of next month. Have yet to hear from AMD aobut it except to say they got it. Since it never ran hot and I never overclocked it I'm hoping they replace it. Guess I'll sell it since I have no interest in removing it again. I felt like I needed 6 hands to do that job.

Not being on a computer for 6 months made me forget a surprising amount of information so please be very explainitory in your suggestions!
Thanks

Checked in iCue and it said that the service had stopped running
completely uninstall iCUE and if it asks to remove any local profiles or other data choose yes for everything.
restart the system afterwards.
then, install the new iCUE package with an elevated command(right-click > "run as administrator").

how are these fans connected;
Corsair commander hub, some other fan hub,
motherboard headers, etc..?

include your complete system specs with the make & model of all components included.

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
This is the part list. iCue has no errors anymore. I recalled that I had an RGB fan issue when I was first building this system that I asked about here. So I went to look at that thread and noticed that I had a picture of what my iCue looked like and in that picture at the top of the program when a profile is selected it shows all the devices being seen. It has the mobo, corsair fan controller comander pro, H150i and two RGB Hubs. Looking at the program right now it ONLY shows the H150i.

This is that thread I was talking about. In it I tell exactly how it's all connected. Now that I reread it I remeber that I had to do it a very compex way!

Last edited:
Now that I reread it I remeber that I had to do it a very compex way!
and after going through that process everything is working as it should?

if not, my point for reinstalling iCUE that particular way is to ensure that it goes through it's complete detection process again and recognizes all compatible devices.
just choosing their built-in "repair" option may bypass that and just replace Corsair system/application files without actually updating specific user profiles.

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
Ok that worked. I went through the Corsair clean reinstall instructions on their site. It recognized everything on re-installation. Well everything except the motherboard that it had access to before but, oh well!
Thanks. I've always wondered why a program will suddenly stop working like it always has.

I'd hate to know just how much time I've spent troubleshooting various computer issues over the last 25 years!

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
the point of including the actual make & model of system components here in this thread is because a large portion of users will not chase your information down through links, like me.
Oh I see. Thanks I'll keep that in mind in future. I need to write it all out and put it in my signature or something.
Edit: Ok now it should all be in my signature.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Well - in the signature is better than nothing.

However there are members (including myself) who turn off "signature". Overall I find signature cumbersome....

My suggestion is to just store a copy of system specs, etc. in Notepad and then use Copy/Paste to post the specs into a post.

Plus you are more likely to remember some change that was made and can update the post accordingly.

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
I'm resurrecting this thread because this exact same thing happened again today. Why would iCue forget what it was doing twice? Clearly there is some issue here. Doing the uninstall/reinstall again worked but I'd like to not have to do that every other time I restart my system. Is there something I can do to find out what is going on with this?

Is there something I can do to find out what is going on with this?
possibly if there is a log left behind with data pertaining to the any "error(s)" that have occurred.

i used iCUE years ago when i had one of their cases, keyboards, and a couple of their LED fans partnered together.
found it was much better to just use the motherboard control software and ditch the Corsair offered options.