[SOLVED] Odd "metallic" smell coming computer

Furzumz

Reputable
After using my computer for a day and turning it off I walked out of my room, walked back in and noticed a faint "metallic" smell. I opened my computer and smelled around inside of it to locate where it was coming from and oddly enough it seems to be strongest in my empty drive bay

Picture of the area I'm talking about

And here's a different view (forgive my awful wiring job) the circled area is where the smell is noticeable but not as strong as the empty drive bay.

After letting it sit for a entire night completely off the smell remains. When I turn the computer on the smell gets sucked away, presumably by the fans but when I turn it off and let it sit the smell comes back.

The only things in that immediate area are two case fans, 2 SSD's, 1 hard drive and some case wires . Hidden under the cooler is my RAM. Nothing in particular seems to be giving off the smell, oddly enough. Not the power supply, not the video card, not the two case fans up front, I don't smell anything from the CPU fan either.

It's not super strong, and metallic might not be the right description but it definitely has a "electronics" smell to it if that makes sense. I've noticed this smell about ~4 or 5 months ago but I only seem to smell it near the top drive bay area and very, veery rarely I can smell it in my room from time to time very faintly. But its definetly noticeable in the drive bay area

No wires look burnt, everything is working perfectly fine, temperatures are all normal and I clean the dust out of my computer with some compressed air once a month. Am I just being worried over nothing?

Solution
Sorry for the late bump, just putting this here to resolve the thread. After taking everything apart I managed to localize the smell to the computer case's wires

I think its just a chemical smell from the material they used to sleeve the wires in

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Might consider using a more aggressive method to eliminate dust.
Check to be sure that your PSU fan is spinning and that it's intake and exhaust are clean.

Check closely on your heatsinks, GPU if installed, etc.

Might be more helpful with a list of specs.
Have you recently installed anything new?

Furzumz

Reputable
Might consider using a more aggressive method to eliminate dust.

Check to be sure that your PSU fan is spinning and that it's intake and exhaust are clean.

Check closely on your heatsinks, GPU if installed, etc.

Might be more helpful with a list of specs.
Have you recently installed anything new?

Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 9 3900x
Video Card - MSI Ventus OC RTX 2070 super
RAM - 16GB
Power Supply - Super Flower Leadex 3 Gold 750w (fan switch on the back is set to the always on setting)
Motherboard - MSI B350M PRO-VDH
CPU cooler - Noctua NH-D14

I've been using a air compressor with a attachment specifically for blowing air, it does a really good job at getting rid of all the dust (I'm careful to not completely blast it of course) Is there anything more I can be doing beyond that for dust control?

PSU fan is spinning and the intake and out take is clear minus one small wire resting on top of the PSU but its not hitting any fan blades or anything, its just sitting on the metal grate.

GPU heatsink looks clean from what I can see through the fans and the plastic shroud

Only thing I can't see inside of without taking it off is the tower cooler but I'm assuming its not clogged as its rather new and I've been cleaning it once a month, and my case has a dust filter for the intake fans

The most recent things I installed have been the power supply but that was some months ago and while there is a smell to it its completely different than the one I described and is far more faint. The second most recent thing I installed was a SSD, can't remember the exact date but it was some months ago

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

Furzumz

Reputable
I am not certain if HWmon will correctly show temps on AMD chipsets. I don't believe CoreTemp has a way to watch VRM. Hopefully someone will post up about something that does.

I took a gander at HWmonitor as I already got it installed and this is what showed up, not sure what the readings are for tho

I can replace my mobo if need be but on a side note, if my VRM were to die on me is there a risk of it frying other parts in my system in the event the VRM dies?

KPpyGE5.png

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
cool sleeper

wipe part of the bay with a wet cloth, if you notice a stain you might need to brush the metal a bit to remove excess dust and corrosion, I highly doubt the smell is coming from the components.

Furzumz

Reputable
Sorry for the late bump, just putting this here to resolve the thread. After taking everything apart I managed to localize the smell to the computer case's wires

I think its just a chemical smell from the material they used to sleeve the wires in

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution