sloth_13

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
i just bought a processor that said it was OEM. they said that it didnt come with a heatsink or a fan. im fine with this since im goin to watercool it anywyas. but when they say that it doesnt come with a heatsink, does that mean that it doesnt come with the small heat sink that usually is right over the cpu? does what i said make any sense?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
i just bought a processor that said it was OEM. they said that it didnt come with a heatsink or a fan. im fine with this since im goin to watercool it anywyas. but when they say that it doesnt come with a heatsink, does that mean that it doesnt come with the small heat sink that usually is right over the cpu? does what i said make any sense?

No. lol

It just means no fan, no copper. You get the chip minus the HS, Fan, fancy box, sickers, and manuals.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The heatsink that they are talking about is that huge piece of aluminum usually in the shape of fins that the fan sits on top of.
And it has a fan on top of it. If you're going to watercool the chip, don't worry about going OEM.

Right now, a boxed chip comes with :
- the chip, which is hidden by
- the heat spreader (a big piece of flat aluminum) which is glued onto it,
- the heatsink/fan combo.

All the same, an OEM chip comes with:
- the chip, which is hidden by
- the heat spreader (a big piece of flat aluminum) which is glued onto it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As far as I know OEM processors have no manufacturer warranty at all for the end user. Your OEM CPU warranty is through the vender, not the manufacturer, and they can make up their own rules about what they will and won't cover, and for how long.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
It's still going to have a heat spreader if that's what you mean. OEM means just the main product itself, so there's no HSF, thermal paste or even a manual. Most OEM are still covered with warranty but make sure to check if it has. OEM are savers since you don't pay extra for stuff that you don't use.