OEM Win7 and a new Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
So long story short I want to get a new motherboard but I have a OEM copy of Windows 7 so when I do a re-install of Win7 there is a good chance it won't install. Basically is there a way around this at all? I have heard going to MS support may help. My Current MOBO is a ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M/USB3 (AM3R2) and i want to get an ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard along with a new CPU. This is because i want to switch from AMD to Intel

Solution
The license agreement says the oem copy is tied to the original motherboard.
But, it is worth a try to reactivate.
You will need to call MS, and assure them that this windows copy is not used on any other pc.
They mostly care that you are not a pirate.
You have a reasonable chance of success; it can't hurt to try.

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

Hmmm is there any way around this I have heard going to MS 'my mobo broke and I needed a new one' may work......

The license agreement says the oem copy is tied to the original motherboard.
But, it is worth a try to reactivate.
You will need to call MS, and assure them that this windows copy is not used on any other pc.
They mostly care that you are not a pirate.
You have a reasonable chance of success; it can't hurt to try.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

A direct replacement of the same make/model would work. A whole new platform? That is completely up to whoever you talk to at MS.

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

Yes But how would i prove I'm not that scurvy sort of person....its a shame as if I need to buy a new OS I might as well wait for 10 and my MOBO desperately needs a replacement if I want to upgrade my PC any further,,,,,

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

So your saying depending on how nice the guy on the end of the telephone is will determine wether i get a reactivation of my Win7.....

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

Hmm...well I'd probably do that but I really want to get my Win7 reactivated on a new MOBO as i do own it and the PC it is on. Otherwise I'd rather wait for Windows X and who knows when that is arriving....

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

Dare i say i may go with my old MOBO broke as a excuse to get a reactivation of my Win7 if this is up to MS and i heard that is the only was around the license agreement.

USAFRet

Titan

Windows 10 is probably sometime in the Fall of this year.
But overall, it's not 'your Win 7 license', it is 'a Win 7 license'. Doesn't matter if it is this one or a different license key. It works exactly the same.

And since you have to do a whole reinstall anyway.....

MS allows a replacement for a failed motherboard.
Sometimes an exact replacement is no longer available, so they allow for that.
With the OEM restriction going away with 8.1 and onward, I think they are not about to alienate customers who are not scamming them with multiple copies.

I might say something like " my old motherboard is no longer working for me"
It would not be logical to replace it with an obsolete motherboard.

It is worth a try.

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

Yes this is the only route i suppose i can see. Well then if they DO reactivate my OEM will that allow it to work on a new MOBO but ill have X amount of days to do it in?

USAFRet

Titan

You do the 'activation' after it is installed, and the activation fails. Online, phone robot, or human.

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

Right so I install everything new parts and such and then call MS. Great, yay once again anti piracy harms the consumer.

USAFRet

Titan

There is no 'uninstall'. You just cease using it and wipe the drive.

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

Soooo A format...well that's great I'm gonna lose all my files.....and have to redownload EVERYTHING all 1 TERBYTE of it....sorry...

You will have 3 days to activate.
Try to do the online activation.
If it fails, you will be given a phone number and you will see a series of 5 digit numbers.
A computer will ask you to enter the numbers you see.
If the computer passes you, you will enter the digits the computer tells you to and you will activate.
This may be based on who knows what, like your internet address which might confirm the same location as the old license.
If the computer does not pass you, you will get a number to call, and a human will go through it again.
The KEY question to answer to how many computers is this copy being used on is "none".
That is not a stupid question since there were some family pack licenses that were valid for 3 computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.