OEM Win7 and a new Motherboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
So long story short I want to get a new motherboard but I have a OEM copy of Windows 7 so when I do a re-install of Win7 there is a good chance it won't install. Basically is there a way around this at all? I have heard going to MS support may help. My Current MOBO is a ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M/USB3 (AM3R2) and i want to get an ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard along with a new CPU. This is because i want to switch from AMD to Intel

Solution
The license agreement says the oem copy is tied to the original motherboard.
But, it is worth a try to reactivate.
You will need to call MS, and assure them that this windows copy is not used on any other pc.
They mostly care that you are not a pirate.
You have a reasonable chance of success; it can't hurt to try.

USAFRet

Titan

Depending on how your system is configured....
If you have only the one drive, then you are a little bit screwed.

And if you have only the one drive, you are but one drive crash from losing everything anyway.

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

Very true which is why i'm considering getting a SSD for my OS and keep my HDD for my stuff.

You will not regret using a ssd.
Do a clean install on the ssd, and do not have the hard drive attached while installing.
Otherwise windows will try to allocate a hidden recovery partition on it, complicating reuse of the hard drive.
After the install, reattach the hard drive and all your files will be available to you.
Because you have a new/clean registry, your programs will need to be reinstalled.

If you want, before converting, run the windows easy transfer program exporting your settings to a file on the hard drive. After install you can import your settings. You will also get a report on what programs need to be reinstalled.

GilaStomper

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

May i ask how would i remove Win7 From my HDD as mentioned above 'one does not simply uninstall windows' as that may conflict with the OS on my SSD...

USAFRet

Titan

Install on the SSD with only the SSD connected.
Wipe the old drive.
Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.