OEMs Getting Windows 8.1 RTM Next Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper666

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006

If the next windows(9?) scheduled for 2014 keeps up the same trend as 8 did, I'll delete my windows partition which is mostly used for some games, as most older titles run just fine under wine, and the new AAA titles are not even worth pirating.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... well? F@&k Windows H8.1... what's the use? they bring back the desktop mode and start button, but, when you press it, it gives you the screen estate waster aka modern ui... and then there is still no easy accessible shut down and restart button at the start 'screen'...

acidice

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
DjEaZy - have you tried right-clicking on the start button - the shutdown command and other usefull apps will be listed when you do that...

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
you know an actual windows 7 service pack 2 would be nice just for all the updates that came out after windows 7 sp1 came out alone. Adding DirectX 11.2 support would be nice too if they bundled that in with the next windows 7 service pack but i'm not holding my breath for either or.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Why not just have Windows 7.2 where you CAN add a Start UI if you have a touchscreen? Microsoft really screwed up with Windows 8. We're not ready to ditch the Keyboard and Mouse just yet, you know...not even close.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I am so close to abandoning the wintel platform.
If there is a win9 and it looks/behaves like this pile of poo(yes, even 8.1) then I'm outta here. I can't just break ~70 employees' decades of start bar use, I can't force them to learn this and they won't either, not to mention the untold hours of lost productivity and that translates to lost money. WHY should I give money to lose money??? We also have in house software that is unusable on this thing, and even commercial software that refuses to run on this pile of dung.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I couldn't care less about the Start button and wallpaper enhancement for 8.1, I wasn't so lazy that I couldn't install 2 bits of freeware within 5 minutes that gave me back what other people have been pissing and moaning about for 10 months. Oh, and I still get to use all the under-the-hood enhancements that 7 users don't or never will get

fimbulvinter

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I'm dual booting Linux Mint and win8, but haven't actually booted win8 since I verified it was working. Between Steam Linux support and the whole PRISM shitstorm I am really thinking about just dumping those NTFS partitions and windows all together.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I've been using windows 8 since it came out. Windows 8.1 since public beta day 1.

To be honest, if you don't like the modern UI it is completely effortless to ignore. Other than a few games for my son, I never even see the modern UI.

Every program and game I've tried to run as expected. The ignorance on these articles about windows 8 grows tiring.

One last time: MODERN UI is EASY to ignore/not use. Other than that, everything else is pretty intuitive.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
@ acidice: ... i can find my way around windows H8.1, but my clients, that haz been using Windows sins '95... how they gonna work it out??? And i must work with them on daily base....

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012

Thats the problem, the fact you have to install programs to make the OS look like previous generations is a mistake. MS would of won everyone back over if they simply gave people the CHOICE to use the new UI or the old standard desktop/start menu. Having to install extra software doesnt make it ok

kajunchicken

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
I honestly thought windows 8 would be the worst operating system to use in the entire world. However, I just got a touchscreen laptop that came with it and I haven't really missed the start menu very much. Granted, there are things that are excessively difficult to do (create desktop shortcut? still no easy way to do that) and it requires too many clicks to navigate in some situations. There are minor flaws but I generally see it as a solid OS as long as you have a touchscreen. I can't speak for using it without a touchscreen but I would believe that it's hard to use and slows down whatever you try to do.

kajunchicken

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
I honestly thought windows 8 would be the worst operating system to use in the entire world. However, I just got a touchscreen laptop that came with it and I haven't really missed the start menu very much. Granted, there are things that are excessively difficult to do (create desktop shortcut? still no easy way to do that) and it requires too many clicks to navigate in some situations. There are minor flaws but I generally see it as a solid OS as long as you have a touchscreen. I can't speak for using it without a touchscreen but I would believe that it's hard to use and slows down whatever you try to do.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
@ acidice: ...thx 4 the tip on the start button and thumb up from me... but it still begs the question... why this functionality is not available from the START...[see what i did there?]?

redline92

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Honestly using Win8 here just disabled everything metro wise and uninstalled all apps,installed stardock8 and disabled metro slide on the right screen +boot to desktop option and thats it same as win7 interface.
Also tried 8.1 and it seems it runs slightly smoother interface but the start button disables stardock start8 anyway its not hard to use the new one either and im not win8 fan.
Problem is everyone hated new metro being forced and no start at all including me so win8 became somewhat of a taboo in peoples mind.
I hated it too at start but i gave it a try either way and with start8 somehow feels like windows7 but better.Using it for 4months now with 0 problems seems more stable than win7.
I hate M$ for not doing what we want improved new window's and full customization i have nothing against the metro idea is usefull for touch devices or even touch pc's whoever buys such thing lol,but why didnt they let us have the start and more options over what we want metro to do or even disable it completely goes beyond my understanding.

G

as nevilence said..."Be careful the M$ and win8 fanbois will be flaming you soon" and voila, here they all are.
"The ignorance of these articles grows tiring",
"So fashionable to hate on Windows 8, if you're not interested why click on the article"
"solid OS as long as you have a touchscreen"
My dislike of Windows 8 Metro and a few other items has nothing to do with fashion, not ignorance. Note dislike, if I hate anything it's the way the fanbois throw the hater comment against anyone that disagrees with them instantly dismissing them without providing any kind of an argument. And few people have a touchscreen on their desktop, nor are interested in reaching across to use one.
Keep in mind the largest computer buyers are business, often with legacy or in-house developed software that must run on every platform they own. The costs of a system wide upgrade are enormous in equipment, personnel, and downtime, plus sorting out the inevitable bugs once an upgrade is rolled out. Plus then there is the training for all the employees. Loss of productivity as they learn the system increases the cost as well. What does Win 8 offer that Win 7 does not at a much lower cost.
FWIW I use Win 8 at home only because I was curious and could upgrade for $40 CAD to Win 8 Pro with Media Centre.
Do you folks get paid my Microsoft per comment or something? First it was, the haters never tried it or never gave it a fair try. Now that ploy has died we get the lame Win 8 promoters here, hating Win 8 is fashionable, you are just unknowledgeable if you don't like Win 8. I suspect many of the comments around Win 8 are by people who are more knowledgeable than you, and fashionable? Sorry, I'm not that desperate to search for some kind of anonymous popularity. And why am I reading this? Because I use the OS!
so give some real reasons why 8 is great please and maybe I'll believe you. That's all.

G

as nevilence said..."Be careful the M$ and win8 fanbois will be flaming you soon" and voila, here they all are.
"The ignorance of these articles grows tiring",
"So fashionable to hate on Windows 8, if you're not interested why click on the article"
"solid OS as long as you have a touchscreen"
My dislike of Windows 8 Metro and a few other items has nothing to do with fashion, not ignorance. Note dislike, if I hate anything it's the way the fanbois throw the hater comment against anyone that disagrees with them instantly dismissing them without providing any kind of an argument. And few people have a touchscreen on their desktop, nor are interested in reaching across to use one.
Keep in mind the largest computer buyers are business, often with legacy or in-house developed software that must run on every platform they own. The costs of a system wide upgrade are enormous in equipment, personnel, and downtime, plus sorting out the inevitable bugs once an upgrade is rolled out. Plus then there is the training for all the employees. Loss of productivity as they learn the system increases the cost as well. What does Win 8 offer that Win 7 does not at a much lower cost.
FWIW I use Win 8 at home only because I was curious and could upgrade for $40 CAD to Win 8 Pro with Media Centre.
Do you folks get paid my Microsoft per comment or something? First it was, the haters never tried it or never gave it a fair try. Now that ploy has died we get the lame Win 8 promoters here, hating Win 8 is fashionable, you are just unknowledgeable if you don't like Win 8. I suspect many of the comments around Win 8 are by people who are more knowledgeable than you, and fashionable? Sorry, I'm not that desperate to search for some kind of anonymous popularity. And why am I reading this? Because I use the OS!
so give some real reasons why 8 is great please and maybe I'll believe you. That's all.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Meh, i am glad i just have Windows 7 and Linux. lol most of the comments are towards the dislike for Windows 8. Doesn't that tell you MS made a huge mistake. If Windows 8 was completely optional it might not be getting the negative reviews/comments hate towards it and if Windows XP, 7 and whoever else that doesn't like the new UI format have updates we wouldn't care.

I won't be getting Windows 8 or anything else from MS if they continue down the start screen. Just like some of the XP users refusing to get Windows 7 or whatever i will continue to stick with Windows 7. I think if MS wants money from XP users they'll have to release another XP OS. For Windows 7 it's going to be the same thing. Maybe they could release an XP/7 OS's with all the updates and let users decide on what they like better. No? Well then i guess MS will be saving some XP and 7 users some money by staying on XP, 7 or switching to Linux then. That's all i have to say on this subject :)

Status
Not open for further replies.