Of Course App Developers Can Read Your Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
We all know the only way Google can stay afloat is to read your emails and offer you personalized ads. I know that my ad clicks have gone up infinity-fold since Google rolled-out their personalized service. I'm up to zero ad clicks a second now, and growing every day!

Honestly I've never seen a website advertise something I want (sorry Tom's), even with personalization. And simply displaying the ads doesn't pay the piper, at least not for the companies buying the ads.

Just send all email responses in a PDF file.

Use 7zip to encrypt that PDF.

Then re-encrypt that encrypted 7zip file again.

Finally email that doubly encrypted file to the recipient.

Exchange passwords either in person or with your personal SFTP server.

Aluminum hats required.

Kudos if you change passwords for each email / PDF.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I thought Google started working on end-to-end encryption after it was leaked that the NSA was jacking the unencrypted intra-Google data. Did they stop working towards that "goal" once the public got bored? Not that that would stop Google from reading your emails, nor would it hinder the apps that have access to your gmail from doing the same. Speaking of which... app permissions are kind of a joke when most users are just like yeah sure OK, just do the thing already!

"The specter of being publicly chastised for misusing data is, in some cases, the only thing stopping companies from behaving even worse."

Eh hasn't really seemed to put much of a speedbump on Facebook or Alphabet. Maybe if you punished execs.

BryanFRitt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
WARNING: When you sign into Google using your phone(like to get an app from their app store), Google claims all the contacts on your phone, and all your appointments belong to them and not to you. Please at least back them up locally before you sign in, and again before you sign out, as Google will DELETE them from your phone.

If you don't want Google even seeing your contacts/appointments and still want to sign in, make a local backup copy(off your phone?) of your contacts/appointments and then delete the non-backups before signing in. "What has seen can't be unseen"

Google probably has your phone number(from friends/co-workers) even if you didn't directly give it to Google.

P.S. Anybody want to sue Google for deleted contacts/appointments?

Apr 9, 2018
Why should I care about privacy? I have nothing to keep private. I don't send passwords or pins via email. Pictures of my vacation are fine, I have a security system at my house and insurance anyway. I don't have debts or enemies I'm trying to hide from. If Google wants to tailor ads to my emails .. well let me close them after they pop up and I'll be OK. I have no need for encrypted emails, and I don't feel particularly good about those outside of espionage careers that do need them.

Jul 14, 2018

Why should you care about privacy? Seriously? That's an insane outlook. Regardless of if you're transmitting sensitive information via email or not you should always demand privacy.
The nothing to hide argument has been brought up quite frequently, Privacy is a right and any intrusion on that right needs to be justified. The moment you forget this or become complacent and say that "i have nothing to keep private" you open the door for mass surveillance and you're giving up a piece of your freedom. Once you give something up, it's very difficult to get it back and it tends to snowball from there.

BryanFRitt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
If you're a business that might be considered as competition against some part of google, would you want google to be able to read the email you send to customers, and/or employees? Would you want them to know who are your best/worst customers/employees are? ...

Status
Not open for further replies.