Office 2010 Hits RC Stage, But You Can't Have It

Status
Not open for further replies.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I didn't use 2007 very much...

I've been using 2010 since they released the beta. There are some good features I like, for example... If I have a spreadsheet open and I'm searching, it lets you click in the spreadsheet while keeping the find box on top. In 2000-2003, you have to first close the find box, then open it back up if you still need it, which is a pain.

Alot of stuff is re-arranged and in some cases hard to find. I Had to revert to my old access because I couldn't find the "export" feature!

botabota

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
same function... just change the user interface to confuse us all...
"OMG check it out I can still do Copy and Paste.. the button just moved slightly to the left... damn that took me like 5 minutes to figure it out"
... still ctrl+c is still the same and havent change for decades

There are little thing in Office 2010 like the "Text Effects" that are not there in 2007. For any one not using these, there is no point to upgrade. But having used Office 2010 Beta for the past few months I find my self using these text effects,etc on school projects,etc. Before this, I was using Photoshop,Paint.NET,etc to do even basic text effects and it's saved me quite a lot of time now.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]tomtompiper[/nom]What can it do that 2007 couldn't or 2003 or XP or 2000 or 97? I think this is a case of milking customers dry.[/citation]

Going from Office 2000 to 2007 was a very nice change; lots of improvements, love the ribbon and looks more visually appealing. Just like going from XP to Windows 7; I didn't see a need to go to Vista when XP was working fine for me and I knew that another version was right around the corner.

I'm not planning on going to Office 2010, maybe the next version if it brings as much change as the jump from 2000 to 2007. I think most people stick with what-ever licence they have. Why pay money when you have something that works for you? Assuming no incompatibles with a new OS, of course.

Oh, and... no one is forcing you to go out and buy a new product. If you don't want it... don't buy it. It's that easy.

[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]OpenOffice.org RC downloadables are available as soon as they are ready.More info on TAP at Microsoft Connect.[/citation]
Yup. OpenOffice is good for people doing just basic typing imo. I use it.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
It probably isn't just interface. There could be a ton of changes under the hood to warrant it a version title instead of just a patch. Maybe it'll be optimized to take full advantage of hexa/octacores to be released this year.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Yes then we can all type at 23,000 words per minute.

Well if you're an Excel number cruncher you'd appreciate the increase in columns from IV to XFD and a million more rows. Fill that up with a ton of formula and pivot tables. Run it on your single core machine and watch that hourglass for weeks.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
the text effect looks cool. still working on that office 2003, might as well upgrade for the cleaner look and those useful timesavers

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]tomtompiper[/nom]What can it do that 2007 couldn't or 2003 or XP or 2000 or 97? I think this is a case of milking customers dry.[/citation]

Well one thing I know is that it has more features built in for interfacing with microsoft online services which are used in a business environment. For home use, I don't see that anyone really needs anything very new unless you are trying to keep up with the technology and learn it all for a job. But anyway yeah they add more features and updated operating system compatability every time they come out with a new version of office. That should be obvious, otherwise they wouldn't release new ones every so many years.

smelly_feet

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I really like office 2007 for excel. It uses smaller file sizes and integrates with mysql in vba much better. I can't wait to see the next iteration. For simple spreadsheets and/or macros, office 2000 and open office are plenty enough.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I hate the ribbon from 2007. Why change a universally accepted interface for something that just slows you down? First thing I did when I got 2007 was download a mod that adds a traditional menu interface. Microsoft turned retarded around 2007 with Office and Vista, or at least more retarded than usual. I don't have a problem with Vista in general like some people, but things like the Defragmenter... whoever designed that should be fired.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]smelly_feet[/nom]I really like office 2007 for excel. It uses smaller file sizes and integrates with mysql in vba much better. I can't wait to see the next iteration. For simple spreadsheets and/or macros, office 2000 and open office are plenty enough.[/citation]

it uses xlsx which is basically a pkzipped xml file which I am guessing microsoft got sued over. I find it rather useless in a business environment because it causes more problems than a solution amongst companies that aren't willing to roll out a new version of office yet.

marcusmurphy

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Actually if you use this software for anything more than just typing letters are doing basic workbook tasks, then the difference in versions is markedly improved. Things like processor and memory usage shows huge improvements from one version to the next. Not to mention adding new functions and symbiosis with other code-sets, which make the job of the document maker much simpler and more efficient.

To put it bluntly it would be like saying I have a Pentium III 450, why should I upgrade to a Core 2 Duo E8400, when my old 450 works fine?

But again if you just write letters and do very basic things with office, why pay any money at all when OpenOffice suffices just fine...

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
I haven't used it excessively but I'm not such a big fan of 2010 over 2007. I really liked 2007 and some things in 2010 seem to have gone in reverse. Just convenient little things that 2007 took care of for you.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I hate the ribbon from 2007. Why change a universally accepted interface for something that just slows you down? First thing I did when I got 2007 was download a mod that adds a traditional menu interface. Microsoft turned retarded around 2007 with Office and Vista, or at least more retarded than usual. I don't have a problem with Vista in general like some people, but things like the Defragmenter... whoever designed that should be fired.[/citation]

It only slows you down if you were used to 2003 or earlier with the different layout. Anyone who wasn't giving Office 2003 heavy use found Office 2007 much easier to use. Sorry to burst your bubble but the people who found the ribbon a pain in the ass are trumped, heavily, by the amount of people who prefer it to the archaic old design.

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Microsoft Office 2010 has some new cool features like........ pressing CTRL + P to print... wow wait i think Office 95 had this hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.