office 2013 install location

Status
Not open for further replies.

legokill101

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I am trying to make office install to my ssd which is not the c drive but i cannot chose at any point in the instal process where it installs to and it will not let me move it does anybody know how to choce what folder and drive it instals into?

Solution
Hi,

just a thought but you may want to give this a go: http://www.intowindows.com/change-default-installation-directory-in-windows-7-vista/

then try installing again and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks,
Marcus

USAFRet

Titan

It ends up as an exe file, right? Every single Office install I've ever seen, from Office 95 to Office 2013, gives multiple options on the install...What parts of Office, and specifically where to install it.

Click on the exe and what happens? What dialog boxes and tabs appear?

legokill101

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
first the standerd do you want to run this dowloaded file and then the second do you want to let it make changes and then it starts instaling makes you watch a video and finishes instaling all without ever giving you acess to any buttons but next and cancel

USAFRet

Titan

What is the full filename of the downloaded file?
I've never, ever seen an Office install that does not give that option. And I've done it dozens, of not hundreds, of times.

marcushann

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Hi,

just a thought but you may want to give this a go: http://www.intowindows.com/change-default-installation-directory-in-windows-7-vista/

then try installing again and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks,
Marcus

Solution

michaelrw

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

he is not lying. the same thing is happening to me. i have downloaded office 2013 professional plus (Setup.X64.en-us_O365ProPlusRetail_178052be-a4e5-4a7b-8dee-7212f871d632_TX_PR_.exe) and as soon as you launch the installer it does everything for you automatically. there is no dialogue menu or options.. the first thing that you see is a message popup from the system tray area that says something to the effect of, "office is installing in the background, you can use your programs now but don't restart or go offline"
yes, i agree with you it is very odd.. but i can confirm that it is true (because i can tell from your comments that you were essentially not believing what was being said)
I am still trying to figure out how to change install location.. will try the method suggested at the end of the thread

Jestexican

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
This isn't a solution but, an afirmation of what's being said. I'm trying to install MS Office for Students on drive D: since drive C: is a 36 GIG SSD with only Windows 7 OS on it. I have to install on D: since it is a 1 TB drive with lots of room. Any suggestions?

David Bobb

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
Your other option is to use something called a symbolic link. A symbolic link that allows you to physically store files in one location but have the file system behave as if the files existed in another location. Junctions are a type of symbolic link that will work on WinXP or later. Do a search for a program called 'Link Shell Extension' which can be used to create junction links. You can then move your Office 2013 install to your other drive and create a junction link back to whatever it's original location was. I use LSE to do things like move my steam folder or to link 'My Pictures' to the pictures folder on another partition.

Madeanaccount2post

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014

This does not work. It has hidden root folders and files that take up the most room. Using a symbolic link did not work.

Also, I laughed at USAFRet's constant replies. "THAT'S REALLY ODD, I'VE LITERALLY NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE."

Solution posted by marcushann works.

Status
Not open for further replies.