Official Intel Ivy Bridge Discussion

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hello,

So today is April 23rd... the release of Ivy Bridge! I'm making this thread to hopefully centralize the actual information for everybody who wants to know. Hopefully people who got ahold of an IB chip today can post benchmarks and overall opinions. I'm separating this from the "news" thread because that thread seems to focus on pre-release information.

When you post (and this is edited in the original thread as well), please tell us what cooler you're using (H100, custom liquid, Hyper 212 Evo, Noctua, etc.) so that we can evaluate its temperatures (which has been the main concern). Also, please use the format malmental (apparently now "verbalizer") used below, but include the cooler you're using (of course).

So for anyone with the chip--post your findings, overall opinions, benchmarks, etc. here!

EDIT: Benchmarks have been released on hwbot.org

i5-3570k: http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i5_3570k/
i7-3770k: http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i7_3770k/

Other Various Reviews on the i7-3770K: put together by user Jaquith from source @Hms1193
Intel Core i7 3770K @ PCPerspective
Intel Core i7 3770K @ Tomshardware
Intel Core i7 3770K @ Anandtech
Intel Core i7 3770K @ Hexus
Intel Core i7 3770K @ VR-Zone
Intel Core i7 3770K @ Wccftech
Intel Core i7 3770K and 3570K @ Sweclockers
Intel Core i7 3770K @ Guru3D
Intel Core i7 3770K @ HardOCP
Intel Core i7 3770K @ Expreview
Intel Core i7 3770K @ TweakTown
Intel Core i7 3770K @ Maximum-tech
Intel Core i7 3770K @ Hardware Info
Intel Core i7 3770K @ HardwareCanucks
Intel Core i7 3770K @ Overclockers
Intel Core i7 3770K @ Bit-tech
Intel Core i7 3770K @ Hardware Heaven
Intel Core i7 3770K @ Xbit Labs (Best review @Hms1193 opinion)
Intel Core i7 3770K and i5 3570K Review @ Vortez
Undervolting and Overclocking Core i7 3770K @ Anandtech
Intel Core i7 3770K Review @ Overclockers Club

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Ah, last thing. When you post (and this is edited in the original thread as well), please tell us what cooler you're using (H100, custom liquid, Hyper 212 Evo, Noctua, etc.) so that we can evaluate its temperatures (which has been the main concern).

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Benchmarks released on hwbot.org
i5-3570k: http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i5_3570k/
i7-3770k: http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i7_3770k/

We still need normal users to check out the chips too, though, since not all chips are the same.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hahaha. Anyway, what do you mean by making something like the i5-2500k... do you mean an i7 version?

Also, I can't seem to figure out if IB runs hotter speed for speed than SB. Meaning... if I overclock an i5-2500k to 4.5GHz on air cooling and an i5-3570k to 4.5GHz on air cooling, will the i5-3570k be hotter?

Oh... and AMD... c'mon...

yes it runs hotter clock for clock, perhaps only a little hotter perf for perf.
I will be getting it, from a Q9550 the 3570K will be a nice update, it'll get me off PCI-E 1.1 and so I'd may as well jump to 3.0, I also don't want to be updating platform for another 3 years +

i'm after a mild OC, 4.3-4.4 (still 25%+) thats 24/7 and on quiet air (Xigmatek Achillies + Noctua NF F12)

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Man... I will probably go with SB. It's cheaper, and I'm not that interested in PCI-E 3.0... it's not like I upgrade all that much. I can't believe they have that problem when it uses less energy...

Well I have a new system that is in the works. I haven't had the chance to overclock it yet but I am building around the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K, the Intel DZ77GA-70K and using the Corsair H100. Hopefully I should be able to report on my results next week but I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with this systems.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Yeah, i5-2500k and ASRock Pro3 Gen3 (don't need extra SLI/Crossfire slot since I'm not that hardcore of a gamer). I'm on a really tight budget... might even have to forego overclocking and bite the bullet on an i5-2400... but that's for a different thread at a later time.

Overall, I think we've established that this chip is not really a disappointment because we were expecting this, but it's not really a surge forward for the tomshardware community. Tablets, laptops, smartphones, and IGP users will benefit from this, though.

Although... why would you want your smartphone to get hotter?

Well I don't know if its still the record but the world HWBot record for memory performance was set on a Llano so, AMD is not as bad as made out, not by a long shot.

When our private forum releases the benches I will post results that I submitted, it is better but now wow, apart from memory performance which can do a SUPERPi 8m sample in like 1m 17 odd with DDR3 2133, I get 1m 23 with DDR3 1866 on my SB.

There are a few instances where AMD gains wins, mostly out of IPC benches, but Piledriver is not going to change that, but it may close it with far better IPC's and IMC's, the good part is that AMD had time to produce PD after the entire Hector Ruiz debacle with a reshuffle of the business model I will expect significant performance yields over Zambezi.

Another thing for the AMD faithful is that we have to accept that the handicapped resources make it difficult to compete and beat Intel in the modern climate, it is about re-evaluating priorities and making them more realistic. Fact PD has to be significantly improved no questions asked, that is where perspective is needed. I would take somewhere between 10-15% which will show on all synthetics as hefty gains.

If we are expecting to see AMD chips above intels mainstream and enthusiast chips, then perhaps we are expecting to much and will likely always be disappointed.

G

the only thing to get excited about in any way is video encoding:
Encoding_01.png

http://www.techspot.com/review/523-ivy-bridge-intel-core-i7-3770k/page6.html
and undervolting
0.90%20volts_575px.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5763/undervolting-and-overclocking-on-ivy-bridge
but for overclocking or gaming . .nothing.

That's a good point sarinaide,

More than likely driver related, even though nvidia keeps it's driver data base updated pretty good, some of the older drivers just flat perform better in SLI with the older cards, and as time goes on the 580s are already older cards.

It wasn't the cards by themselves that produced that score, improving the scaling, improves the score and pulls further away from Toms tests, I probably need to run some tests and find which drivers yield the best SLI performance with the 580GTX cards.

Still no need to upgrade yet.

The one positive about Nvidia is the website and interface, other than that Nvidia have become a disappointment with delays and lacklustre performance, if you take the 580 out which was a bit of a one trick pony, Fermi was a massive let down.