Oh my! Nvidia may have done it!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

An Intel Fanatic is making a concession?!!! What happened today? I think the world is about to end! LO FREAKIN' L!

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!

G

You have sunk to new lows. You hate nVidia for "killing" the lame 3dfx who made outdated products and was already dying anyway, but support Creative, who REALLY DID kill Aureal, who made state of the art products and was on their way up? What color is the sky in your world?
It's brand loyalty, and it's stupid. It's a wonderful tool to take advantage of, though, if you're selling the product people are loyal to. :)

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Very good advice, Spud!

No matter how good the hype sounds, wait for the product reviews.

Think about this: if the chipset simply performs as well as the VIA KT133a, most of the computer industry will be gunning for Nvidia!

What if Nvidia decided to produce a CPU? After all, the GForce 3 chip is as complex (or more so) then the Athlon or the P4. Could be trouble here, as Nvidia becomes the sole source for hardware in the industry....

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

Have you started to take your medicine again. That was almost mature!!
Anim88tor

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Never thought I'd say this, but I have to agree with *cough* Spudmuffin *gag*. The nForce looks great, but we won't truly know how good it is until it gets tested in the real world. Remember how disappointing RDRAM and the P4 were when they first arrived. They were supposed to be world-beaters, but showed little or no improvement over existing components. Hopefully the nForce will be different and AMD will finally get the chipset it deserves and can kick VIA to the curb. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that nVidia has created a winner, but I'm not going to talk sh*t until the results show it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, this should REALLY urk rcf84! Since nVidia HIRED those displaced audio chip engineers from Aureal, I hope that their chipset lives up to it's potential and KILLS Creative! More power to those dedicated engineers! And of COURSE I expect the INTEGRATED (!) audio of the nForce to be better than that of Creative, simply because it was designed by those briliant ex-Aureal engineers. In fact, I don't expect the Live2 to be any better than the Live was, simply because Creative no longer cares about performance, only marketing! In fact, it will prbably jsut be a CHEAPER version with MORE BLOATWARE!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Wait and see what? Benchmarks and stability tests on early pre-production chipsets have already been phenominal. There are plenty of previews floating around that all say the same thing....this chipset is for real and it's revolutionary.

<A HREF="http://www.inqst.com/articles/nforce/0605main.htm" target="_new">http://www.inqst.com/articles/nforce/0605main.htm</A>

G

Were are FUGGER and MeltDown???????They have been silent for days now.
They should have time school is over now.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>Dont jump on the bandwagon folks us Intel guys did that and now we are even disapointed in the P4. Wait and see before you praise them.</b>

Good post!

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>An Intel Fanatic is making a concession?!!! What happened today? I think the world is about to end! LO FREAKIN' L!</b>

Nonetheless, he does have a point!

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

Whats the big deal of this nvidia chipset ?? Lets recap:
1) Its got integrated MX graphics.
Wow.. great.. a Geforce MX !! I mean, its nice to have in a low-end budget PC for sure, but this is not a feature you'd sell your current MB for, is it ? Especially not if you already have superior graphics (GTS/Pro/Ultra/GF3).

2) 4.2 GB/s memory bandwith. This is mostly only usefull when you use the integrated graphics. Since a Tbird can only handle 2.1 GB, having this feature with a standalone GF3 video is not going to help a lot, if anything. Have a look at P3 motherboards with DDR or RDRAM to see it doesnt help anything to have a memory bus that is way faster than your cpu fsb.

3) "superior" sound system. While the specs may seem impressive, I wont be impressed until I have actually *heard* the card. There are plenty of cards out there that do Dolby 5.1.. why should this be a better sound system ?

4) unified driver support. This is nice for newbies that dont know how to download/install drivers. But really, what is the difference to a power user ? In fact, I like to be able to choose different drivers for my southbridge, video, sound, etc. I would *not* be happy if I were forced to use a certain detonator driver version just to get my soundcard working.

5) StreamThru / Hypertransport / blahblah blah
Its only performance that counts here. Nothing indicates these marketing terms will help your Q3 experience anything.

6) DASP
Sounds like an "intelligent" L3 cache to me.. and a whopping 64 kb in size. Not sure what this will do to performance, but it might help.

Did I miss anything ? Dont get me wrong, the specs look nice and all, but this does not look like a "kill-all" motherboard to me. Yet. Maybe when I see the first benchmarks I'll revise my opinion, but until then, I see this MB as a good option for the value market, since it might be a cheaper solution than a KT133A + GF MX +SB Live 5.1.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Here's the real test:
Build a board with 6 PCI slot, fill 5 of them
Put an Adaptec 2940U SCSI card in one with a couple drives.
Put a 3com 905tx network card in another
Put a Creative Live in another
Fill two more of the slots with a mix of old an new PCI cards
Plug in an Intel camera into a USB port
Put a Umax scanner into another USB port
Use a multimedia style keyboard
Load the software for all these devices, plus Win98, Office 2000, and a few games.
See if it runs for a few days without loosing the camera. Turn it on and off a few times to see if you get configuration errors. Use sleep mode and see if the USB peripherals dissapear.
I choose those cards and peropheral as they are among some of those which do not always properly configure on VIA motherboards, and I want to see an improvement made by nVidia. We will see, I want to hear of ZERO comapatability issues with current drivers.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I also want to see what happens when people start to disable the onboard graphics and sound. 75% of the people here who would consider switching over for performance reasons would disable the onboard graphics chip.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I wonder what the new system stickers will say.

<font color=green><b>System nForced with Graphics to the nth degree</b></font color=green>

or

<font color=green><b>Un<font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue>ligent non<font color=red>Creative</font color=red> System</b></font color=green>

???

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You may want to change the second sticker to:

<font color=green>Un<font color=blue>Intel<font color=green>ligent non<font color=blue>VIA<font color=green>ble non<font color=red>Creative <font color=green>System</font color=green>

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
Actually nVidia did not kill 3dfx...3dfx killed themselves...

3dfx stopped making chips for other companies to put on boards...
It was all down hill from there.

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"We will see, I want to hear of ZERO comapatability issues with current drivers."

I agree. But it's ok to have to wait for "optimized" software for the P4 right?

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
~ SiS735 is better... End of story... ~

I don't think it's the end of the story, however...

I do think we might end up seeing two excellent chipsets for the AMD processor.

1) SiS735 for the power users/gamers with no built in 'average' integrated graphics, just raw power with fast North/South connects and excellent for overclockers.

2) nForce for those of us who just want an all round good performance machine that has excellent bang for the buck, yet still provides upgradabilty.

and just maybe...

3) VIA gets a good kick in the pants for stuffing up their Southbridge, forcing them to reinvigorate their line with something even better (or just wither away for their sins).

AMD's weakness has always been it's chipsets, now it seems to have two strong ones which contributes to great competition and innovation and puts more heat on Intel to improve on their products and execution.

One thing is for certain, this advancement will benefit us all!

<font color=blue> The Revolution starts here... as soon as I finish my coffee </font color=blue> :eek:

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
cant wait until the next nvidi chipset... builtin geforce 3 is going to be very pleasant...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wouldn't know about the P4, I don't own one. When the next P4 comes out, I might buy one, but then again, I might buy an A4 and the next generation nForce. Depends on how things pan out. Right now the PIII with BX or i815 is the most stable/compatable system you can get for the money. Forget about the better performance of the TBird until I can find a near perfect motherboard for it. And forget about the current P4 with it's reduced performance and dead platform, I aready own 2 PIII systems that give me all the performance any of my software can use.