Oh my! Nvidia may have done it!

G

I haven't even read Tom's review on nForce from start to finish and I am still unbeliveably amazed. nForce may be able to do so many things that never thought possible.

1. Nvidia is taking on Intel, VIA, SiS, ALi, Creative Labs, and so many others it's incredible.
2. nForce is taking integrated products to a whole new level. No longer does integrated mean low performance!
3. When no one else thought it was possible, they developed a low cost dual channel SDR/DDR! All you have to do is get an External AGP Video Card.
4. Provided as long as the South Bridge is compatible with products, they will have FINALLY produced a STABLE, RELIABLE, HIGH PERFORMING PLATFORM for AMD!

This may be the best thing that has ever happened for AMD (Yes being better than the Athlon Launch). What a week for AMD. What is everyone elses thoughts?

G

Sounds Great.

Maybe i don't hate Nvidia After all.

- I miss Creative Labs =((

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Nvidia can kiss my A$$. If i ever get an AMD i'll have no f'n nvidia hardware on my system. I'm a loyal ATi fan and creative labs will kill nvidia with the Sound Blater Live! 2. In fall 2001.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Its mind blowing, isn't it? In their first offering, they've redefined chipset technology! nVidia is even reporting 20% performance increases for the Athlon. I can hardly wait for benchmarks to become available. This platform could be the P4 killer. Who could possibly argue with a $500 Athlon machine that outperforms a $2k P4? If they license out their crossbar memory technology, RamBus will also be in serious trouble. Too bad I have to wait until the fall to put my hands on one!

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's so illogical I almost have to call it a troll. DId you read the article? By all impressions, the nVidia chipset should convert even the most loyal Intel zealot. And ATI?? Wake up man!

Stop pissing in it. =-

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It all sounds great on paper, but you have to wait until the product is out and tested. Will it perform as Nvidia says, or is it another P4? Will the memory controllers be as fast as claimed? Let's see what the independant reviews say when the new motherboards are released.

I have put my next upgrade on hold until boards with nForce are released and reviewed. It sounds too good to be true. Since GForce2 MX graphics is enough for me, a new PC would consist of a case, an nForce motherboard, and an Athlon CPU. No sound card, modem, or NIC needed! Talk about price/performance ratio for an entire system.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
This just in:

"Intel's Craig Barret had no comment on the nForce's release today, nor did he so much as make an appearance. An Intel spokesman claimed he was 'in a meeting;' however, inside sources report that the CEO is still busy cleaning the crap out of his pants."

Ok, maybe that was uncalled for. But now is a great time to own an AMD processor. :wink:

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

G

DAMN! I'm almost speachless. nForce is probably the biggest thing to happen to AMD since the Athlon itself. More important than the 760MP launch tomorrow.

FUGGER, AMDMELTDOWN, comments? hehehehe

RCPilot

Champion
I agree!!! One of these chipsets whether it be Sis or Crush (or whatever they want to call it today) is going to hurt Intel to it's core. I ran Intel up until the T-bird & I'll tell you what, it's AMD all the way for me, especially now. I can't wait!!!!!!!

Next computer Q2 O2

2 gig A4
Asus with Geforce Crush (or whatever it's called)
Geforce 4 Q2 02
Ibm ? (how big, how fast, who knows right now)
Sound blaster (don't know what model yet)
And whatever else is there for Q2 02

1 disclamier!!!!!! If Intel shows anything I might consider it at the time, but Intel has a long way to go before I'll buy another 1 of them.

Skinny

How do you eat a elephant? One bit at a time!

G

ATI sucks

i would never buy one of there video cards..

just like S3..

THEY SUCK!

In the past they sucked and they sucked now!

The only video card i bought and was truly happy with was my Voodoo Banshee.

Worth Every damn penny i spent on it!

I don't have good memories about using ATI video cards or S3..

I am like that thou.. If i have a problem with something, i will enver use it again..
i mean..
I hated Cyrix, S3, Acer Cdroms, and Ati video cards and... SIS chipsets..

Its a small list but i hate them!

I have never had a problem with Creative Products, AMD processors, Intel processors, or Asus and Gigabyte Motheroards.

I just stick with what I KNOW WORKS.

You dont hear me complaining.

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Guess what i dont buy nvidia. They personally killed 3dfx and almost killed s3. Guess what me and spudmuffin will fight to our last moments to distory Nvidia. AMD is alright. Nvidia sucks !!!

G

Spudmuffin hates AMD more then Nvidia dude

G

I'm trying not to have personal feelings about companies. I mean it's not like I'm dating them or anything. :) They're all pretty much alike, corporate thingies. Whichever produces the best product, that one I'm gonna buy.

Leo

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Guess what he hate nvidia alot too. nvidia almost killed s3 spudmuffin's favorite graphic chip maker.

G

Well i like my 440gx motherboard no reason for me to buy a nforce. Well if the Via PX266 looks good maybe ill upgrade to dual 0.13 micron p4 2.0ghz.

I only steal the princess cause she is hot ;*)

G

I love this quote from Penstarsys's preview:

"NVIDIA is going to take over the world. So far reports on this chipset have been very positive in real world settings, and the overwhelming specs that NVIDIA included in this product are mind-boggling! This product is literally 2 years ahead of its time, and NVIDIA was able to complete it in slightly over a year. This is not bad for a company with no prior experience in the core logic market"

The preliminary benchmarks they show have a, from what I can tell, 1.2GHz T-bird beating the daylights out of a 1.5GHz P4 in every performance category. I can't wait to see higher clocked A4's with their prefetch and the nForce taking on Northwood. Intel better have something pretty phenominal up their sleeves to hope to compete with this monster chipset.

This chipset is one of the reasons I believe AMD is in no rush to get the Hammer processors out. They pushed back the Hammer launch by six months to start production on SOI. nFORCE will allow the Athlon to easily compete with P4 for a long time.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Connie on 06/04/01 01:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Intel better have something pretty phenominal up their sleeves to hope to compete with this monster chipset.

Yeah, its called more support from other chipset makers. Well the Via PX266 looks pretty good also support SMP at a good cheap price

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I recommend buying what is best for you, who cares what manufacturer. The chipset looks really awesome, lets see it perform as advertised, I am skeptcal of nVidia marketing and propaganda though. Makes for one low cost system doesn't it? 3d Graphics, outstanding state of the art Sound, Duron, T-Bird and Palimino ready. It may be my next major mobo purchase next year. Dual DDR Ram, jesh what is there not to like, if nVidia delivers well hell yea. I just hope it supports all manufactuers 3d cards. Took years to get via chipsets somewhat stable and many other chipsets, did nVidia do that overnight? This will be interesting in how much is this hype and how much is real. Cudo's to nVidia if they deliver and to hell with them if they don't, thats just business man.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

G

Yeah, its called more support from other chipset makers. Well the Via PX266 looks pretty good also support SMP at a good cheap price
You've got to be kidding me? Support from other chipset makers? PX266? Third party chipsets for the P4 may make it more appealing from a cost standpoint but they surely won't improve it's performance. I can't wait to see how a P4 performs with SDRAM.

HighCv2

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
In my case I am not particularly biased towards any cpu/graphic card producers. My previous pc was p200mmx with ati rage 2, no problems there. Now I am trying a completely different flavour, tbird 1.2 and a gf2 mx with asus mobo, had abit before. Point is that the price/peformance ratio is the most important at least for me, compatibility is important as well but it's not a big worry nowadays.

PS. Nice comment connie =p

"He who laughs last doesn't get the joke"

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was looking over the blurb about the nForce over at <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/articles/computex_2001/crush12/crush_12.html" target="_new">[H]ard|OCP</A> and I'm curious about the integrated 5.1 audio. They've got a <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/articles/computex_2001/crush12/crush_12.html" target="_new">picture</A> of the back, but I don't see any 5.1 output, just your normal mic/line-in/line-out. I'm wondering if this prototype didn't include the integrated audio, or if nVidia has some kind of proprietary adapter you have to use....

Stop pissing in it. =-

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Dude, you make me laugh. Guess what, 3dfx and S3 killed themselves by putting out inferior products. Like nVidia is supposed to do less than what they are capable of so that other companies can survive? I think you'd be happier living in a communist country because you don't seem to have a clue what a free market economy is about.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, Tom's preview did show that nVidia has different chipset versions, the nForce220 and the nForce420, and each one may or may not have the integrated Dolby Digital encoder. So, the board pictures may just be one of the versions without the Dolby Digital encoder, or it may just need a seperate riser connecter to the outside (like how old serial port add-ons worked).

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

G

Dont jump on the bandwagon folks us Intel guys did that and now we are even disapointed in the P4. Wait and see before you praise them.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have sunk to new lows. You hate nVidia for "killing" the lame 3dfx who made outdated products and was already dying anyway, but support Creative, who REALLY DID kill Aureal, who made state of the art products and was on their way up? What color is the sky in your world?

Cast not thine pearls before the swine