Ok, here is my final build... Finally. I'm ready to order it, I'd just like some feedback if possible.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kR73mG

So, assuming that link worked, that is the build.

I'm using Newegg.ca for everything, I'm very new to this and would prefer to deal with one re-seller.

I went with the Z97 because it was on sale and onle $30 more than the H97 I originally planned on going with, so someday I can SLI or overclock if I decide I want to.

I went with 16GB of RAM, because it may become relevant for gaming someday and RAM prices seem to be rising all the time.

I chose the i5 4690 because I won't be OCing, and it seems to be very good, and less expensive than the Xeon.

The GPU was on sale and came highly reviewed.

The HDD is simple and cheap, I don't need much more than that lmao. I won't be using an SSD since it's an additional cost I threw into RAM or something.

The monitor is a decent 1080p, if I understand, and can downsize it 720p if necessary, which is nice.

The case is a bit pricier than I originally intended, but has lots of fans and tons of excellent reviews.

The power supply was highly recommended by some and seems very good, plus it has 10 year warranty... Seems pretty awesome.

I just threw the keyboard in there to get a better idea of costs, I dunno what peripherals I'll use.

I'm uncertain whether to go with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. I'm leaning towards Win7 because I'm familiar with it.

I'll be pretty much using this build for gaming, not much else that's intensive. No video editing or coding or anything like that.

*UPDATE*

Am I missing anything at all? I do have a different aftermarket cooler because the Vortex wasn't available. The 212 EVO weighs too much for my motherboard, I don't know if the 450g max weight is legit, on Gigabyte's website, but I figured I'd respect it and find a lighter cooler. Anyways, I'm only getting one to be on the safe side for cooling the CPU.

Thank you for your time :).

Solution
Just get 8gb RAM. Simple as that. For gaming 16gb adds no gains and it will not for a LONG time. Most games still use 3gb or less.

You would be WAY better off saving the money and putting it towards a better GPU. A gtx770 is a HUGE improvement over a gtx760 and is attainable on your budget easily.

You have no need for a case with "superior air flow" You do not have a 'HOT' GPU and you will not be overclocking the CPU.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

That's perfect. I'm down to upgrade, maybe to an i7 4790k or whatever is the best at the time, a few years from now. I'm just looking at the best value for GPUs and waiting for the PC parts to arrive. Thank you again :).

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Well, I see a lot of reviews on Newegg with DOA stuff or issues of some sort. I guess people write reviews with complaints more often than praise. If things don't go well, they get angry. So, if a Z97 only has 30 reviews or so.... How many do you think were sold? I'm wondering, have they sold in the hundreds or even dozens at this point? Are the odds of a device being DOA or having issues shortly after install, common or uncommon?

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Dang, those are good odds (of a successful PC). That's a lot of PCs too, wow. So, even though the Z97s are very new, you think they've sold tons? I guess it shouldn't be surprising really.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

That's good. Makes me feel a lot better. Thanks. The parts should be in, in a couple days... Except the optical drive is being sent separately so I'll have to wait until it's in before I can install the OS xD.

Also, there's an R9 280 on sale for the price of a GTX 760. This is the card SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 14-202-099 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5. Would it be much better than the GTX 760?

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

So then it's a juggle between whether I care about Geforce experience (it's convenient), PhysX (it's cool but I wouldn't pay any extra for it), and Watch Dogs vs. Gold games with AMD. I'd totally go with AMD's deal... tough call. Thanks again :).

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

It updates drivers for you, right? Isn't that good, or are some of the updates garbage that you want to avoid?

Also, any reason to go for the 760 or the 280? If not, I guess I'll go 760 for less power consumption lmao.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Sounds kinda lame, forget that then. There's a nice 280x for $35 more than a GTX 760... I'd like your opinion on which would be best, if you don't mind me asking yet another question. Performance is important, but heat output/temperature is very important to me too. Also, down the road I'd like to SLI/Crossfire, so I dunno which to go with lmao.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

I ended up choosing the 760. I need to keep my needs in mind. I keep pushing for higher quality parts, but as long as the core components are good, ie: PSU and motherboard, I can do upgrading down the road. The GTX 760 is much much more than I need, and has excellent price/performance value.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Glad you think so :). I got the computer parts, I'm going to wait until tomorrow, the optical drive and GPU should be in tomorrow or Thursday. Everything looks good and in good shape, but I shipped ground through Purolator. I didn't realize it would be handled 4 times in transit, so that worries me a bit... God knows how rough people can be with things they don't care about.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

That's good. Everything looks good. Very nice motherboard, very pretty to look at. Thank you again for all the help. I'm going to watch some people build PCs and read about it to get a better idea of how to do it.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

No kidding! I'm reading the installation guide for the tower/case (it's MASSIVE), and the installation seems super easy. Can I follow these guides? Or should I follow something more accurate? I guess the case guide is designed best for the case. What directions do you suggest following?

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

I just finished watching a 3 part guide that took about 2 hours haha. I will watch the one you linked me. It doesn't look "hard" but a lot could go wrong, such as shorting out the RAM, GPU, or mobo, damaging the CPU, having wires get caught in the fans, all sorts of things. Otherwise, it looks like it could be very enjoyable. Thank you.