Ok, here is my final build... Finally. I'm ready to order it, I'd just like some feedback if possible.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kR73mG

So, assuming that link worked, that is the build.

I'm using Newegg.ca for everything, I'm very new to this and would prefer to deal with one re-seller.

I went with the Z97 because it was on sale and onle $30 more than the H97 I originally planned on going with, so someday I can SLI or overclock if I decide I want to.

I went with 16GB of RAM, because it may become relevant for gaming someday and RAM prices seem to be rising all the time.

I chose the i5 4690 because I won't be OCing, and it seems to be very good, and less expensive than the Xeon.

The GPU was on sale and came highly reviewed.

The HDD is simple and cheap, I don't need much more than that lmao. I won't be using an SSD since it's an additional cost I threw into RAM or something.

The monitor is a decent 1080p, if I understand, and can downsize it 720p if necessary, which is nice.

The case is a bit pricier than I originally intended, but has lots of fans and tons of excellent reviews.

The power supply was highly recommended by some and seems very good, plus it has 10 year warranty... Seems pretty awesome.

I just threw the keyboard in there to get a better idea of costs, I dunno what peripherals I'll use.

I'm uncertain whether to go with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. I'm leaning towards Win7 because I'm familiar with it.

I'll be pretty much using this build for gaming, not much else that's intensive. No video editing or coding or anything like that.

*UPDATE*

Am I missing anything at all? I do have a different aftermarket cooler because the Vortex wasn't available. The 212 EVO weighs too much for my motherboard, I don't know if the 450g max weight is legit, on Gigabyte's website, but I figured I'd respect it and find a lighter cooler. Anyways, I'm only getting one to be on the safe side for cooling the CPU.

Thank you for your time :).

Solution
Just get 8gb RAM. Simple as that. For gaming 16gb adds no gains and it will not for a LONG time. Most games still use 3gb or less.

You would be WAY better off saving the money and putting it towards a better GPU. A gtx770 is a HUGE improvement over a gtx760 and is attainable on your budget easily.

You have no need for a case with "superior air flow" You do not have a 'HOT' GPU and you will not be overclocking the CPU.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Ok good, so to make sure I understand, I should install the RAM by pulling the clip things back, inserting it properly, and hear a click. I should install the CPU by letting it fall into place, and then securing it before putting the cooler on. Should the Intel CPU cooler be good enough for non-overclocking and gaming? I bought a Zalman Peforma, but am wondering if I should just use the Intel stock cooler, it looks so much easier to install.

So, install the RAM, CPU, and cooler before installing the mobo into the case, after installing it into the case, put the GPU on it? Also, when screwing in the screws for the mobo, make sure they line up with all the standoffs, and do not tighten them too much or they can short out the motherboard. Install the optical drive and HDD, and then the PSU... Then start cabling? I feel like I'll have very poor cabling, since I'm a noob. Kind of afraid of wires getting caught in fans lmao.

Yes the stock cooler will be plenty for everything you use it for.

No, the screws cannot short the motherboard from over-tightening. Not possible. Just get the nice and snug. Relatively tight but not too tight.

I usually put the PSU in FIRST. Then the motherboard and screw it isn. Then the RAM and CPU cooler. Then the HDDs and optical drives. Last the GPU. There is no correct order.

No wires will get caught in fans. Use the back panel for cable routing and extra cables. Use cable ties (zip-ties) to keep stuff neat.

Here is my current computer I am typing on right now for some inspiration:
IMG_06681.jpg

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

It seems so easy! Yours is super neat and tidy, wow. I'll keep the Zalman for the future, and use the stock cooler. Thank you :).

The guy on the Newegg video is saying you can't use an ethernet cable until you download drivers for LAN and suggested getting all drivers from another PC... What if you don't have another PC to do that from?

Thank you so much for everything, I was so worried about the building process, but now it looks fun.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Good, I was kinda worried for a second.

I am looking forward to it, but I can't stop thinking of all the things that can go wrong. Kind of idiotic, since I ordered, paid for, and have received the parts. Anyways, I'm dying to play some Civ 5 lmao, better work on it soon, and do any troubleshooting/RMAing I might need to do.

Sounds good man. It should go perfectly fine. Feel free to ask any questions.

For what it is worth, I usually just toss my computer on my bed and stand on the carpet and casually work on it. I have never had any issues. Obviously this is not recommended, but you really do not need to be surgical about it at all.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Lmao! That's great. I'm going to start working on it, on a wooden floor, in about an hour. I'm trying to figure out whether the LAN connection in my room works or not, the landlady is not sure, but thinks so lmao.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Clearly I'm an idiot. So far this has been a nightmare. It's interesting, but the motherboard manual says to leave the black cover on until after the CPU is installed. The Newegg video says to take it off prior to installing the CPU. I think the CPU went in properly, but I'm not sure. The socket only has the notches mentioned in the video, no gold triangle that the CPU has. The notches lined up and it fell in nicely. Installing the cooler went ok(ish), but I had to push down hard on the board. I followed the video and did it outside of the case, it went well but some "random" looking pin things on the bottom of the motherboard are slightly bent. I don't know how important the things on the bottom are, but I suspect they are pretty important.

The RAM was kinda tough to get in, I had to push hard, and only one side would go in at a time (I'm guessing that's bad). Now the pin things on each end and the middle, underneath the motherboard are slightly bent. Again, not sure how important they are, but as always, I assumed the worst.

The PSU only seem to fit into the case with the fan facing upward, which kind of sucks for sucking in air to cool the thing down, but it won't screw in properly with the fan facing down. The pictures in the booklet show it in the case with the fan up, even though it recommends the fan facing down. Finally, the back with the switch and the eco option are right side up when the fan is facing up, but the information for all the plugs is upside down. I don't know why the back is the opposite of the inside in terms of labelling. Apparently Seasonics have this issue too.
Also, there are some copper wires inside the PSU that seem to have the copper stripped away, I can see some green on the wiring.. That is somewhat worriesome.

I really appreciate all your help, it's been great, but I feel like a complete moron for failing so badly at this. I don't even know if the PC will work, considering all that seems to have gone wrong with the motherboard. I guess with all the parts open, it's too late to refund, eh?

I'm guessing it's a bad idea to leave the components exposed to "the world" and call it a night eh? I should probably finish, if I can?

YEs you need to push HARD to get the cooler installed. This is normal.

Ram can go in one side at a time too. It can only go is one way though as the notch in the stick is NOT symmetrical. I doubt you hurt the motherboard.

The PSU will fit fan-down. I promise.

Your PSU is perfectly fine. there is exposed copper in the PSU.

You are being a worry wart. Just build the PC and see if it works. Lol.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

So, bent pin things underneath the motherboard is normal? This is scary, because I've put almost 2 hours into it, haven't gotten very far xD, and have a couple more just to get it started up (assuming I don't screw up and it even turns on). Ok, is it ok if the PSU doesn't get all the screws in? I'll fiddle around with it, and see how I can get this to work.
That's good, I think. You mean, wiring with copper that looks "worn off"?

Yes, I am... I tend to worry and overthink drastically. I have some medication, which usually helps.. But this is a significant investment of money and time. I appreciate your help so much.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

I'll have to try that. I'm more worried about the motherboard, the bent pins, and if the CPU is even in properly, and not damaged.

CPU only goes in one way. If the notches lined up, its in.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

It is messy looking, dang.

As for the CPU going in, that's great!

The bent pin things at the bottom of the motherboard... What do the pins underneath the motherboard do?