old 486 vs waiting for slegdhammer

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i have an old 486 with a 83 mhz proccser in it with 32 mb of ram
I'm trying to dicided if i should go with the new palmino when it comes out or wait the 3 quaters and get a slegedhammer

G

When you said Old 486 waiting for a sledgehammer, I thought you were going to attack it with a sledgehammer, LOL

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Life is a lesson, you learn it when youre through

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
garf, thats the funniest thing ive heard all week, LOL

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
was that one of those ones where you could push a button on the case to make the chip go faster or something? my friend has one of those but it doesnt do anything

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you mean the turbo button? That's usually left disconnected on the new mobos (and by 'new' I mean last, oh, I'd say 7-8 years:).
In the old machines, it would actually half the clock speed -- i.e. the "turbo" button would make your 286 16Mhz run at 8Mhz... it would only "speed up" your computer if you accidentally left it in the slow mode...

I think new mobo's for some reason still have in BIOS option to run at slow speed... funny:)

also: I've never heard of 486-83... that's weird:)

G

I say don't wait!

Everything on the market right now is a Sledgehammer or a Palomino compared to that 486 Neandertal ;-)

Your 486 can find a new job as a brand new doorstopper! Better yet, a doorstopper of that size could be a doorman :)

I know that's no useful information, but I felt an urge to share that stupid comment with you guys!

- Better go Green than Blue!

G

What's an AX?
Do you mean an "axe"?

necroscope

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ax or axe (ks)
n., pl. ax·es (ksz.)

A tool with a bladed, usually heavy head mounted crosswise on a handle, used for felling trees or chopping wood.
Any of various bladed, hand-held implements used as a cutting tool or weapon.
Informal. A sudden termination of employment: My colleague got the ax yesterday.
Slang. A musical instrument, especially a guitar.
v. tr. axed, ax·ing, ax·es.
To use a heavy, bladed cutting implement in order to chop or fell (something).
Informal. To remove ruthlessly or suddenly: a social program that was axed to effectuate budget cuts.
Idioms:
ax to grind
A selfish or subjective aim: He claimed to be disinterested, but I knew he had an ax to grind.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What no one has suggested though is what I would suggest: Which is to spend a measly few hundred on an 'older' (can you call anything older when compared to a 486?) Duron, Athlon, or Celeron system. Even with every generic component under the sun built on to the motherboard it'll still be a hundred times faster than a 486. (I should know because I had a 486 and I did the same thing, paying next to nothing for a Celeron 500.)

It'll be better than a 486 AND it'll give you the patience to wait for the SledgeHammer. (And the time to save up for it.)

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

G

Whoa dude, keep your pants on!

Never occurred to you that some people in this community have a different mother language than English.

Never saw AX written without the E before. I just thought maybe you meant it was some sort of form factor or other format.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
the promblem i have with buying another cheap commputer is the fact that i want to have as much money as i can to build a really good commputer

i don't have to have this commputer august zwhen i go off to school
so i would only have to wait 3 quaters to get the slegedhammer

yes the 83 is an overdrive chip it was a last chance effrot to keep the commputer somewaht used able, and it made the commputer last another year until i got the one i have know

thanks for all the input and some of the jokes

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, the motherboard controls that, and most 486's were set to run in "turbo" (realy standard speed) mode all the time. Non-turbo mode was supposed to slow down your processor to enable it to run older software that was timed in Processor cycles instead of by the system clock. The Pentium Overdrive for the 486 was a REAL Pentium processor modified to fit the 486 motherboard and run at 33MHz bus speed. It was available at 83MHz. There was also a 67MHz version made to run at 25MHz bus spedd.

Suicide is painless...........

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, the motherboard controls that, and most 486's were set to run in "turbo" (realy standard speed) mode all the time. Non-turbo mode was supposed to slow down your processor to enable it to run older software that was timed in Processor cycles instead of by the system clock. The Pentium Overdrive for the 486 was a REAL Pentium processor modified to fit the 486 motherboard and run at 33MHz bus speed. It was available at 83MHz. There was also a 67MHz version made to run at 25MHz bus speed.

Suicide is painless...........