Question Old Build - Motherboard Failed

robw123

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
Hello all,

I built a computer back in 2012 and the motherboard has packed in. I am trying to get back into this as I've totally forgotten everything I learned all those years ago. Whilst trying to select a new motherboard I am currently fearing the worst (having to replace a few more components) and am looking for some guidance. Below is a list of what's currently in there:-

CPU: Intel - Core i5-3570K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock - Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Power Supply: XFX 550w core edition

As the parts are quite old now I'm struggling to find a motherboard with a Z75 chipset and a 1155 socket. Is there a motherboard currently on the market (I'm based in the UK) that would work with what I've shown above without having to replace anything else, is it totally necessary to look for one with Z75 chipset and 1155 socket or are there other newer ones that would be compatible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm a bit out of my depth with this.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
what makes you think its the motherboard?
is it beeping at you, step 17 on this page here.
connect a speaker, remove the RAM and try to boot the system. in my experience a dead motherboard cannot be forced to beep when booting with no RAM.

what is your budget?
finding a new replacement motherboard will cost a lot, ebay and the used market may be the only way to replace that board.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£81.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£61.97 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£46.00 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £189.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-08 11:31 BST+0100

paired with your GPU, case, storage, and power supply you will be on a live socket, with modern RAM.

Reactions: robw123

robw123

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
connect a speaker, remove the RAM and try to boot the system. in my experience a dead motherboard cannot be forced to beep when booting with no RAM.

what is your budget?
finding a new replacement motherboard will cost a lot, ebay and the used market may be the only way to replace that board.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£61.97 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£46.00 @ CCL Computers)

paired with your GPU, case, storage, and power supply you will be on a live socket, with modern RAM.

I've found a 1155 socket motherboard on Ebay for £29.99.
MSI - H61M-P31/W8 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Do you think this might be compatible?

I did the paperclip test on the psu, tested without the ram/graphics card, used a screwdriver to test the motherboard but I have come across that guide you posted this afternoon. There was no sign of life whatsoever from the motherboard. It is totally baffling as it was working fine and about a month ago I went through a house move, I finally got round to setting back up last weekend. I am going to do a thorough check of all components and follow the 'breadboarding guide', also I'm going to test the power of the psu to make sure it's not that. I'm just trying to prepare myself for having to make a replacement whilst I'm at work and unable to do anything.

The problem with buying used is that you have no idea what the BIOS level of the board is. It might require a BIOS update to support your 3570K, which means that you now have to find a CPU that is already supported, just so you can update the BIOS. This coupled with the fact that used carries no warranty, you are quickly approaching the point of "throwing good money after bad"! I would second R_1's recommendation. for less than 200 pounds, you get a current generation system, with improved performance and an upgrade path (and warranties!)

robw123

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

what is your budget?

PCPartPicker Part List

So, last night I followed the guide you linked and can confirm now that it is the motherboard which has died.

I'm fully happy to replace it along with the cpu because after all I've lasted 7 years without having to change anything. After a bit of research I see that the AMD ryzen 3 is decent enough but also has a half decent in built graphics, would this render my current gpu useless or would it still be worthwhile using it? Also, will this be an upgrade to how the system used to run or is it more of just upgrading to current parts?

Thanks very much for the help I'm trying to get back up to speed with all of this and think I'm slowly getting there.

Hello all,

I built a computer back in 2012 and the motherboard has packed in. I am trying to get back into this as I've totally forgotten everything I learned all those years ago. Whilst trying to select a new motherboard I am currently fearing the worst (having to replace a few more components) and am looking for some guidance. Below is a list of what's currently in there:-

CPU: Intel - Core i5-3570K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock - Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Power Supply: XFX 550w core edition

As the parts are quite old now I'm struggling to find a motherboard with a Z75 chipset and a 1155 socket. Is there a motherboard currently on the market (I'm based in the UK) that would work with what I've shown above without having to replace anything else, is it totally necessary to look for one with Z75 chipset and 1155 socket or are there other newer ones that would be compatible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm a bit out of my depth with this.
I'd start saving for a new rig, even if you find a board it may be used and damaged. Just save up and get the new Motherboard, CPU and RAM.

robw123

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

what is your budget?

PCPartPicker Part List

Hi R_1,

Sorry it has been a while since your reply but I have been pondering my options. The price of the 2200g has dropped since which is always nice! I've put together a partpicker including everything I already have (the ssd I'm not totally sure on) including the new parts I was looking at purchasing - the new parts being the cpu, motherboard and the ram which comes to £173.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7z6YnH

It isn't throwing up any compatibility issues so I was wondering if you wouldn't mind casting your eyes over it and letting me know your thoughts. I assume I'd be looking at utilising my gpu rather than the integrated graphics. For info, I use the computer for autocad for work and gaming from time to time (would like to be able to run new games etc). How do you think this set up will perform?

Many thanks, you guys have been very helpful.