[SOLVED] "old" Corsair dominator platinum overclocking potential ?

Yanitwei

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2016
Hi all 👋

When I built my last rig five years ago, along with 170 chipset and Skylake CPU I bought Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8 CL15 2666MHz ram sticks (CMD16GX4M2A2666C15) just before "nand crisis" happened and RAMs sticks prices started to go skyrocket.

Now I'm planning to build a new rig on Alder lake, but CPUs there as well as average ram sticks working speed increased to 3200~3600MHz

So what you guys think ? On a decent board, can I increase timing a bit and gain higher working speed out of my sticks ? Or should I aim for spending more 💰 and buying new ram sticks ?

install_f.jpg

I believe dominator platinum is high end ram series and ready to be overclocked right ? But in practice what results will I get ? Will it work stable ? With higher memory clock and without significant loses in timings ? Any ideas how much is it's potential ?

Last edited:
Solution
can I increase timing a bit and gain higher working speed out of my sticks ?
each kit, and even each individual module, is different in it's regards to overclocking ability.

you will have to take the time to go through raising speeds, and/or timing, and increasing the voltage in very small amounts at a time to determine what they can handle.
if they can handle any increase at all.

i've had some that could take a few hundred MHz at a time,
some that could handle that plus a couple timing adjustments,
and others that would crash the system with any increases at all.
can I increase timing a bit and gain higher working speed out of my sticks ?
each kit, and even each individual module, is different in it's regards to overclocking ability.

you will have to take the time to go through raising speeds, and/or timing, and increasing the voltage in very small amounts at a time to determine what they can handle.
if they can handle any increase at all.

i've had some that could take a few hundred MHz at a time,
some that could handle that plus a couple timing adjustments,
and others that would crash the system with any increases at all.

Solution