Question Old CRT Monitor - Samsung Syncmaster 3

May 24, 2023
Greetings,
I have recently made progress on my frankenPC but unfortunately it only displays horizontal flashing lines.
The technician I went to see said it had something to do with the number of Hertz the screen displays.
Can anybody help, either by recommending an hdmi adapter or by showing me settings somewhere?
Thanks,

Here is the manual. I have pictures of the monitor not working but it won't let me upload on here.

Upload pics to imgurl or any other picture site.
Seeing the issue is needed to give any advice.

State your GPU again because I doubt many will go and search for your other topics to what it is.
Any PC GPU should not cause any Hz issues though so it's weird that the technician said that, but without seeing the issue...

D

Deleted member 2947362

I had one of those monitors back in the day (Que the music and wavey lines)

I think it does 50hz 60hz 72hz? and 75hz if I remember correctly? Too long ago really for me to be sure?

But I do remember it being an ok monitor for the price lol

D

Deleted member 2947362

you could also try setting 800x600(60Hz) resolution before connecting the CRT monitor if you have the PC connected to a LCD

D

Deleted member 2947362

Basicly with what little info I have this is what i would do

get the PC connected to a screen that it works on

install O/S and drivers

while in the O/S set the screen resolution to 800x600 60hz

shut down PC connect the CRT and it should work

It should work without doing any of that but it might at least work when windows has loaded.

if it still doesn't then I would suspect the monitor is Duff reguardless of what the tech guy said.

have you seen the CRT working correctly before hand?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 24, 2023
Basicly with what little info I have this is what i would do

get the PC connected to a screen that it works on

install O/S and drivers

while in the O/S set the screen resolution to 800x600 60hz

shut down PC connect the CRT and it should work

It should work without doing any of that but it might at least work when windows has loaded.

if it still doesn't then I would suspect the monitor is Duff reguardless of what the tech guy said.
Thank you fellow human.

ALIENWARE M15 R2
Device name DESKTOP-V3IIG07
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID A67DDA0A-9AE2-4AF3-B51B-EA64D0F7C9DD
Product ID 00325-81504-73059-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
These are my specs. It is a laptop so it already has a screen.

D

Deleted member 2947362

There is no way that CRT will do 1080p

you need to set your screen res at 800x600 60hz or try 1024x768 60hz max

D

Deleted member 2947362

LOL well there is no way that CRT will support 144Hz either.

The issue will most likely be with a driver or how you have configured the O/S

Sorry I can't help you any further maybe someone else could advise you.

Hello again fellow humans, https://imgur.com/a/nGlqOm2 here is the imgur link.
These pics are way too low resolution to see anything, for all these pictures show the monitor might be running fine...
You always get a certain amount of "wavy lines" on a CRT because of the physics of how it works (There is always only one single pixel "active" that gets moved through every line of the display and it happens faster than the phosphor loses the energy so you see a full picture) . You need to show a high res pic close up of the monitor.
A multisync monitor would be more stable but that doesn't mean that yours is bad.

May 24, 2023
These pics are way too low resolution to see anything, for all these pictures show the monitor might be running fine...
You always get a certain amount of "wavy lines" on a CRT because of the physics of how it works (There is always only one single pixel "active" that gets moved through every line of the display and it happens faster than the phosphor loses the energy so you see a full picture) . You need to show a high res pic close up of the monitor.
A multisync monitor would be more stable but that doesn't mean that yours is bad.
It's exactly as you see in the low-res picture -- all white horizontal bars flashing, and you can see a little bit of image from my pc.

It's exactly as you see in the low-res picture -- all white horizontal bars flashing, and you can see a little bit of image from my pc.
What are you feeding into the monitor?
What is signal source? Is signal source from laptop in that photo?
What video output are you using? HDMI? DP? USB-C ?
What cables are you using?
What adapters are you using?

Alienware m15 R2 seem to have one HDMI port and one mini DP port.
You'll need to use either HDMI to VGA adapter or
mini DP to VGA adapter.

51w1V3YM6OL.jpg

61Qqbiz8S9L.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2023
What are you feeding into the monitor?
What is signal source? Is signal source from laptop in that photo?
What video output are you using? HDMI? DP? USB-C ?
What cables are you using?
What adapters are you using?

Alienware m15 R2 seem to have one HDMI port and one mini DP port.
You'll need to use either HDMI to VGA adapter or
mini DP to VGA adapter.

51w1V3YM6OL.jpg

61Qqbiz8S9L.jpg
I am using a HDMI adaptor which works fine with a multisync sony trinitron monitor. My laptop seems to only feed 144hz. The signal source is from the laptop, and the laptop and monitor are plugged into power outlets.

D

Deleted member 2947362

I am using a HDMI adaptor which works fine with a multisync sony trinitron monitor. My laptop seems to only feed 144hz. The signal source is from the laptop, and the laptop and monitor are plugged into power outlets.
your probs better off to refer to the manual of the laptop or download it