[SOLVED] old gpu in new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Offlinex

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
So my pc is seriously lagging with most things these days even Mozilla with a few tabs is causing the cpu to almost max out, I think its days are numbered. So my question is if I build a new pc can I use my old gpu since a new gpu is like almost impossible to find atm.

So is there any problem with using an old gpu with all new components if pcpartspicker says there are no compatibility issues? Are there any issues upgrading to a new gpu down the line when gpus become available?

New pc upgrade + old ass gpu until I can get a new one:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6dstBc

Last edited:
Solution
So does this build have enough airflow? Its a full tower case with a 230mm fan instead of a glass side panel ( I honestly don't care about showing off my rig with rgb and all that crap) as well as 1 Front 230mm, 1 Rear 140mm, and 1 Top 230mm. As well as running a depcool assassin 3 90.37 CFM CPU cooler.
Case airflow is a whole bag of worms, however, there are many very good airflow cases. Case airflow does not just come down to bigger or higher airflow fans. It mostly has to do with the layout of the case in combination with those factors. For instance big full tower cases are not necessarily better for cooling because the parts are so spread out you have to have fans move air more quickly and with more pressure to feed air as...

woot

Distinguished
the GTX 770 should work fine with the new computer, youre just going to have one heck of a bottleneck, you should not have any issues upgrading to a new GPU later on, also keep in mind that the 10900k i9 should be paired with a better cooler than the one you specified, a 30$ cooler is not going to cut it for a processor like that.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of cpu do you have now that can barely run a web browser?.

Last edited:

Offlinex

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
Is this a better CPU cooler?

I'm a little hesitant about AIO's since I have never used them. Its also why I picked the Thor case with its huge 120mm fan on the side.

As for my cpu its a core i5-4670k and to be fair my memory is also at about 80% most of the time with only 8 gb of ram. The slow down is only recently I tried it with chrome as well but a lot of tasks seem to slow it down and make most common tasks take a long time. I also checked for viruses or malware. Either way its not working that well and its also like 8 years old time for an upgrade.

So is there any problem with using an old gpu with all new components if pcpartspicker says there are no compatibility issues? Are there any issues upgrading to a new gpu down the line when gpus become available?
There's no real problem using an old GPU. If you're upgrading, there'll probably be some legwork to do, but we'll cross that bridge when you upgrade.

I'm a little hesitant about AIO's since I have never used them. Its also why I picked the Thor case with its huge 120mm fan on the side.
AIOs are reliable these days, though I'm also in the camp that if you've planned around higher airflow (i.e., spacious cases with fans that actually move air unlike a certain case Gamer's Nexus found), there's no real advantage for the cost.

Is this a better CPU cooler?

As for my cpu its a core i5-4670k and to be fair my memory is also at about 80% most of the time with only 8 gb of ram. The slow down is only recently I tried it with chrome as well but a lot of tasks seem to slow it down and make most common tasks take a long time. I also checked for viruses or malware. Either way its not working that well and its also like 8 years old time for an upgrade.
Personally this is what I would do with your build;

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nf88wz

If you want to use a quality / performance AIO with no RGB look at the Arctic freezer 280mm, or 360mm rads.

Offlinex

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
AIOs are reliable these days, though I'm also in the camp that if you've planned around higher airflow (i.e., spacious cases with fans that actually move air unlike a certain case Gamer's Nexus found), there's no real advantage for the cost.

So does this build have enough airflow? Its a full tower case with a 230mm fan instead of a glass side panel ( I honestly don't care about showing off my rig with rgb and all that crap) as well as 1 Front 230mm, 1 Rear 140mm, and 1 Top 230mm. As well as running a depcool assassin 3 90.37 CFM CPU cooler.

Actually, I just had a look at the case proper. Unless you can find a 140mm mount AIO, you can't fit one in because the radiators for most AIOs are designed around 120mm mounts.

But otherwise yes, I don't see a problem with airflow anyway so that cooler should be fine.

Case airflow is a whole bag of worms, however, there are many very good airflow cases. Case airflow does not just come down to bigger or higher airflow fans. It mostly has to do with the layout of the case in combination with those factors. For instance big full tower cases are not necessarily better for cooling because the parts are so spread out you have to have fans move air more quickly and with more pressure to feed air as effectively as a mid tower case with decent fans and layout. The case that I liked in that pcpartpicker build is one of the better cases for cooling because it has a mesh front with 3 120mm fans that are of decent quality. Another thing is that graphics cards are essentially dumping waste heat into cases directly below most CPU cooling setups so your CPU is going to run hotter the more you stress your CPU unless for instance you mount an AIO on the front intake of a case. The problem with that is in reverse though. You end up putting the CPU waste heat into the GPU instead. I highly recommend looking at gamers nexus for any more in depth case cooling information.

Reactions: Alex Storm
Solution

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
there is enough air flow, if you do not trust AIO, then definitely Noktua NH-D15

Reactions: helper800
Status
Not open for further replies.