Old GPU running hot on new parts

UNATCO-PC

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my whole PC, my old MB and CPU somehow stopped responding so I decided to upgrade everything. I had Canada Computers install everything for me, they had all drivers installed up-to-date and did a clean install of Win10 on my SSD. The first day I got it back I was transferring all my information and didn't leave the PC on for very long. The second day I restored CSGO from an external hard drive and booted up the game. My GPU (Which I didn't upgrade) started to run really hot, with atleast 5 minutes into a competitive match my GPU was running at 78 degrees, no more and no less. As soon as I quit the game and let my PC idle, it dropped down to 50 degrees and took about a half an hour to drop down to 40 degrees. The GPU is exactly a year old, it was working very well on my old parts. I called up Canada Computers and they told me it's a possibility that I'm running an old part against new parts (Not that I thought this 970 is that old)
My new parts are:
MSI B250 Gaming M3 Motherboard
EVGA 650BQ 80 Plus Bronze PSU
Intel Core i5-7600 LGA 1151 @ 3.5 GHz
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4 8GB RAM
WB Blue 2TB HDD
Samsung 750 EVO 250GB SSD
Windows 10 64bit

My old part is:
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked

I have a pretty old 200mm fan on the front of my PC, could it be that I just need stronger intake fans?

Thanks for all the help!

Solution
the fan curve, it is software, not the case

about the noise, it is to be expected under load to be noisy

that means you have a reference model gtx970 with a blower style fan

other than improve airflow inside the case, change the gpu for a moel with more than one fan doing lots of noise

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Did you have something like EVGA Precision on your old windows install and now you don't? If not, download it and set up a fan curve and auto fan.

My 970 SSC has similar temps to yours if left to its own devices. It does idle lower, but my case has really good airflow.

Edit: the old on new parts line is a complete fabrication on their part. The GPU is responsible for its own cooling, and nothing should change unless perhaps you've mucked about with the case fans and made airflow worse.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
bs, old part vs new

970 is not a old par, a old part is a old scanner i have here from 2005!

wha fans do you have installed?

the 78c sounds good to me under heavy load

the 50 and 40 on idle is what sounds bad to me, the airflow of the case should handle that, what case do you have and what fans do you have installed?

UNATCO-PC

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

Currently I have a Cooler Master HAF 912 and I have a 200mm CoolerMaster fan in the front and a 120mm Corsair AF120 for the exhaust, I don't know if the temp will be fine, just the only thing that bothers me is the sound, the fans get quite loud at 78 degrees. Would switching Automatic Fan Control on the Precision XOC work? It's a bit noisy but if it keeps the temp down I'm fine

UNATCO-PC

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

I haven't touched anything in the case, I have a 200mm fan in the front and a 120mm fan in the rear of exhaust, my case is a CoolerMaster HAF912. Would turning on Automatic Fan Control in the Precision XOC help?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the fan curve, it is software, not the case

about the noise, it is to be expected under load to be noisy

that means you have a reference model gtx970 with a blower style fan

other than improve airflow inside the case, change the gpu for a moel with more than one fan doing lots of noise

Solution