[SOLVED] Old GPU with new build

Jun 7, 2020
So I've got all my components except for my GPU. I have the Ryzen 7 3700x, and I'm going to have to use my old GPU for a few weeks until I can afford to buy the 2070s.

It's a really old Radeon HD 5830, is it okay to put inside and pair it with the 3700x temporarily? I won't be gaming on it much, aside from a little Civ6. Just wanting to make sure there won't be any major issues.

Solution
Agree, go ahead. But here's some advice when your new card arrives. BEFORE removing the old one, go into Device Manager and Remove / Delete the old graphics card. Then without shutting down, go though Control Panel to get to Add / Remove Software and remove any stuff associated with that old card. THEN shut down, remove the card, and install the new one. This avoid possible conflicts of trying to load and use the wrong drivers and utilities.
So I've got all my components except for my GPU. I have the Ryzen 7 3700x, and I'm going to have to use my old GPU for a few weeks until I can afford to buy the 2070s.

It's a really old Radeon HD 5830, is it okay to put inside and pair it with the 3700x temporarily? I won't be gaming on it much, aside from a little Civ6. Just wanting to make sure there won't be any major issues.
i think there shouldnt be issues.Aside from the fact that you are sure that the hd 5830 works,because if it doesnt work you wont get signal or anything since 3700x doesnt have integrated graphics.
By the way,that do you think is a bigger bottleneck:
-You pairing 3700x with hd 5830
or
-My friend pairing pentium e5800 with rx 590 8GB

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Agree, go ahead. But here's some advice when your new card arrives. BEFORE removing the old one, go into Device Manager and Remove / Delete the old graphics card. Then without shutting down, go though Control Panel to get to Add / Remove Software and remove any stuff associated with that old card. THEN shut down, remove the card, and install the new one. This avoid possible conflicts of trying to load and use the wrong drivers and utilities.

Solution
He can just use DDU to remove all the drivers