[SOLVED] Old PC, New GPU. Bottleneck?

Nov 18, 2020
So i have an old PC build (Around 10 years) and i was wondering if a new GPU is a healthy choice for my system or not? And if so, what is the best GPU i can buy considering my old CPU and Hardware parts (Bottleneck etc).

PC Specs:
OC - Windows 10 Home
PSU - Xilence 950 W
Motherboard - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 (AM3)
CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz
RAM - Kingston Hyperx 2x4 GB 1333 MHZ DDR3
Storage - Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
GPU - 2x ASUS AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series 1GB

I really like Nvidia GPUs and i was thinking about 16 Series. Firstly i was into buying 1660 GPU but then i thought maybe it is too much for my system to handle? Then i looked at 1650 and thought that it may be more suitable?
Thanks in advance for any answer

Solution
I really like Nvidia GPUs and i was thinking about 16 Series. Firstly i was into buying 1660 GPU but then i thought maybe it is too much for my system to handle? Then i looked at 1650 and thought that it may be more suitable?
There is NO SUCH THING as "too much GPU for the system to handle" relative to CPU. As long as your PSU can handle it, then you're fine.

Now, there may be the possibility of unused potential. ie: your CPU is so weak that it can never put the GPU to maximum use. BUT, you will NEVER encounter a situation where a more powerful GPU is used in place of a less powerful one. It is absolutely impossible for the GTX 1660 to perform WORSE in your system than a GTX 1650.

Jogibearson

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
What is your main usage for the machine? Work, Gaming or just multi-media?

The PSU seems pretty overkill for a single GPU so you can fit any GPU in it. Your processor and RAM are pretty aged but the 1090T seems to still give a good experience...

The 1660 Super is a really good card if youre just trying to play at mid-high settings on it.

So if you have the money get a new rig.
If not, just get a new GPU and a bit faster/more ram.

Nov 18, 2020
Gaming is the main reason for my PC. Even if i dont have enough time to play.

I agree with the 1660 Super, its a really good choice. But my main concern is whether my system can handle it or not. I can currently spend 250 Euro in a GPU, but i can't afford a new PC atm.
I can get more RAM too.

Jogibearson

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
Gaming is the main reason for my PC. Even if i dont have enough time to play.

I agree with the 1660 Super, its a really good choice. But my main concern is whether my system can handle it or not. I can currently spend 250 Euro in a GPU, but i can't afford a new PC atm.
I can get more RAM too.

I don't know what you mean by "If it can handle the GPU"... As long as you have a 8-pin Power connector on your PSU (which I bet it does) its all fine.
For the ram you should check if theres any faster ram available. 8GB 1600MHz ram around here cost roughly 20€ so it shouldnt be that much more from whereever you live. Just check local offerings.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
There is NO SUCH THING as "too much GPU for the system to handle" relative to CPU. As long as your PSU can handle it, then you're fine.

Now, there may be the possibility of unused potential. ie: your CPU is so weak that it can never put the GPU to maximum use. BUT, you will NEVER encounter a situation where a more powerful GPU is used in place of a less powerful one. It is absolutely impossible for the GTX 1660 to perform WORSE in your system than a GTX 1650.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution
I do not know about that PSU you worte, but if it can handle the 1660S it will be a very nice upgrade.

Of course as it was explained in this case your current CPU wont be able to keep up with the new GPU and thus limit what it could achieve (gaming wise). Nothing a modern CPU and RAM can fix, but yeah sometimes not posible to change everything togheter.

Last edited: