Question Old psu for rx580 8gb

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
should be OK (though not as ideal as a proper 8 pin), but if its been used for 5 years straight in a computer, i would not suggest using it. If its just been sitting, it should be ok.
If there's one thing I've learned - a short term sacrifice for a long term investment is of course, investing in a good PSU. With at least 80+Gold and 10 year warranty. This is where $85 odd for a 650W-ish goes a long way.

I wouldn't risk it, considering the questions about it's age, the lack of dual 8-pin connector and the wattage. The RX 580 is power hungry at full load and a weak/bad psu can cause a lot of problems, from random reboots, no signal issues, till screen flickering.

I wouldn't risk it, considering the questions about it's age, the lack of dual 8-pin connector and the wattage. The RX 580 is power hungry at full load and a weak/bad psu can cause a lot of problems, from random reboots, no signal issues, till screen flickering.

eh. 500W should be ok. I'm running a 580 and a skylake cpu in a 550W PSU with no worries. 'power hungry' is relative these days.

Aymann

Reputable
Mar 7, 2019
There are utilities such as CPUID HWMonitor giving all that info, providing of course that you know what the readings mean.
Ok thanks mate
I'll get the card and test it if i have any problems i'll buy a new psu, but i wanna make sure if the psu isn't good would it fry the the motherboard or the graphics card?

bignastyid

Titan
eh. 500W should be ok. I'm running a 580 and a skylake cpu in a 550W PSU with no worries. 'power hungry' is relative these days.

Problem is that Great wall GW-500SE is not a 500w PSU(even some of the places still selling them sell them as 400w units). It has 2 fairly weak 12v rails 1 @14a and 1 @16a so even if both could be maxed at the same time(which we know isn't true of most multi rail designs) it still would only be capable of 360w of 12v power.
This is not a good PSU for an RX580.

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
All it would tell you is what the average DC value of the voltage rails are, and then only be as accurate as the sensors on the mobo. It would tell you nothing about ripple, transients, etc.
True, but he can at least still draw some info from it nonetheless. I doubt that he has the tools anyways to look all those things up that you mentioned.