Question Old PSU works fine. New PSUs won't turn on. Both fail paperclip test.

Sep 19, 2023
First post. Sorry if I'm not the best at providing context

Current specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler: Thermalright Silver Soul 135 82 CFM CPU Cooler
Mobo: MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700
RAM: V-Color SKYWALKER PLUS 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
SDD: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 (two of these)
GPU: Zotac GAMING AMP GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB
CASE: Silverstone PS15
Current PSU: Corsair CX650F 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX

Situation:
With my current set-up. Everything runs great. I'm in the process of making an ITX set-up, so I bought a new SFX sized PSU (Corsair SF750). I put it in my current rig just to try it out. It didn't work. So I bought a different PSU (EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM) to try. That one doesn't work either. They both show different behavior but neither of them work.

Corsair SF750 - Turns on for a micro-second then makes a clicking sound and turns off. Then, when I turn it off at the back, it does the same thing again
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM - Doesn't turn on at all

I did the paper clip test with all three PSUs and they all did the same thing as when they were connected to the rig:
Corsair CX650F - Fan turns on and runs fine
Corsair SF750 - Clicks then turns off
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM - Doesn't respond at all

I figure there's no way BOTH of the new ones are broken, so I'm wondering if it's something to do with the voltage in my apartment? I live in an old building, so it's not the best (lights flicker sometimes when there's a lot of people using their ACs, etc). But then why is my current one working with no problems?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 13, 2023
at any point did you have connected cable from different psu?

as for paper clip test, some psus doesnt turn on its fan if not under load, so you may need to connect something to your psu which would tell you if its powered on or not

or he could pull out a vom to check if the psu is on load

Sep 19, 2023
at any point did you have connected cable from different psu?

as for paper clip test, some psus doesnt turn on its fan if not under load, so you may need to connect something to your psu which would tell you if its powered on or not
I initially used my current PSU’s cables with the new Corsair. But then I re-tried the new Corsair and evga with their own cables

Sep 19, 2023
I got a SF750 as well and it turns the fan on at a specific load in order to remain silent, so it is perfectly normal if the fans don't spin
I’ve read that they do. Unfortunately, the issue still exists where as soon as it’s powered on, it makes a click sound and shuts off power

Sep 13, 2023
I’ve read that they do. Unfortunately, the issue still exists where as soon as it’s powered on, it makes a click sound and shuts off power
When I tried to jump start the SF750 with a paperclip, it made a click sound as well. But installed in my system, it worked. Have you double checked all connections?

Last edited: