Old SSD to new build?

mavityre

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Am I able to put the old SSD into a new build, fire it up and have everything come up like it did in the old box? There will be new peripherals in the new box.
Running Win 10 home. thnks

USAFRet

Titan

You're counting on the OS just booting up?

Probably not.

3 possible outcomes:
1. It boots up just fine
2. It fails completely
3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.

I've seen all 3.
With a major parts change, a full wipe and reinstall is strongly recommended, often required.

Also, for the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

i'd suggest wiping the SSD before installing the new OS or re-installing the OS and wiping it 3 times. I clone my OS to a backup SSD and whenever i got hit with a bad malware, virus or whatever, instead of chasing fixes it was easier to just clone the backup back to the OS drive/

Then two times in a row, when i would clone the backup back to the OS drive, the same virus or worm or whatever it was would still be there. FInally, a retired MS engineer customer of mine called in, and i asked him wtf re the issue/ He said a lot of times the cloning software or even windows will, when writing to a disk, see the same file with the same name, date etc, it would skp over it and go on to the next file.

That explained the virus showing back up as well as why cloning times would vary from one clone to the next. Now before doing a new clone, i'll wipe the target disk 3X and then clone, and same if i'm cloning back to the orig OS disk

fwiw

USAFRet

Titan

That's not the way cloning software works.

no doubt, but the clones were always done a good deal of time before the infection appeared and then the cloned SSD stored in a "powered only" tray with no sata cable connected so no chance of a virus migrating to it - before i clone i scan with windows defender and then emsisoft virus protection. The infections always came in, when like an idiot i would download some software from Cnet or softronics (iirc the name correctly) - i've stopped doing that but the cloned copies were clean

believe what i said or don't, it doesn't affect me

4745454b

Titan
"Vacuums are bad, but negative pressure is good" not even knowing they were one in the same.

Actually they aren't. If you don't know the difference I suggest reading more about cases and cooling. In any "case", your issue with people and cooling has nothing to do with the OPs problem. Please don't hijack his thread ok?

USAFRet - I'm not literate enough in "computerese" to argue it, all i can say is, i know the individual personally and he is a 20 yr retired MS engineer. Like i said it had happened on two occasions where the infection returned immediately. And the cloned SSD was kept in a "hot swappable" tray that only had power connected, no sata cable, so no chance of the infection migrating to the cloned copy. On the next occasion when i got infected, i tried his suggestion, and it worked. It also explained why some clones would take 1 hr 30 minutes to complete (i'd move the clone SSD to a sata cabled tray) and other times it would take 1 hr 19 minutes. Same computer, and clones were done using same software (EaseUS Todo Backup) in linux, no windows operating system running. When i started wiping my clone SSD before cloning, clone time became predictable, same as the previous time.

like i said earlier, believe it if you want or don't, it won't affect me - but do you really think it hurts to wipe a drive before cloning to it?

USAFRet

Titan

Hurts?
In the case of an SSD, you are inflicting unneeded write cycles on it.

A clone operates at the partition or drive level. Not an individual file level. It doesn't pick and choose old vs new files.

I am absolutely NOT one of those people who frets about writing too much to an SSD. But restoring a known good clone wipes that original data anyway, in the process of the restore. No need to do it once (or thrice) beforehand.

A virus can't rebuild itself from that.