Question Old timer getting back into overclocking

24brycec

Honorable
Oct 7, 2017
I upgraded about half a year ago to a i7-11700k, Asus rog maximus XIII Hero Mobo, 32gb corsair ddr4 ram (3600mhz, 8x4) I had my old i7 overclocked and left it what it was at, this time I allowed the ASUS program to overclock it the best it could. The only reason I did that was because I honestly forgot what I needed to change to overclock the cpu. Asus did a good job overclocking the CPU, maybe trying to get a little to much out of it, running really hot and reaching the power draw limit. Its being cooled by a nzxt kraken x62

My question is, when I go to overclock it manually, what do I need to change? It's been forever since I've done overclocking manually. What would the safe temp and power draw be for the cpu be also? (even though overclocking isn't fully safe)

24brycec

Honorable
Oct 7, 2017
Asus did a good job overclocking the CPU, maybe trying to get a little to much out of it, running really hot and reaching the power draw limit
most auto-overclock options tend to raise the voltage much too high in all of my experiences.

i would start at 1.4v and try working my way down as low as possible while still stable @ 5GHz.

i ended up with 5GHz @ 1.345v with the 11700K but that's pretty low compared to most results i've seen from other users.
What would the safe temp
Intel claims 100°C is the max but sitting near that for any extended length of time can shorten the lifespan.
i've never been comfortable even reaching high 80s with any of my CPUs.

i always aim for ≤60°C for any components while in heavy usage scenarios.

Last edited:
Yeah, Overclocking is kinda boring these days, I know on Ryzen its not worth disabling PBO or the boost, but play with the voltage curve and power draw, the less power the cooler, the more it'll boost. I don't have much experience with modern intel other than just building some modern intel systems but its more or less the same thing but in a different way from what I've read.

GPU's are sorta the same, I use to be max clocks = better performance, until I got the Vega 64, keeping clocks are stock speeds but under volting the crap out of it would mean more performance due to its power limit and or temp limit.

I miss the old days where people were using tape to overclock their core 2 duos and core 2 quads, I actually just did that to a q6600 system to get it to 3ghz thats for my cousins son so it has a better chance to watch youtube at high definition lol.

As others have said here, modern CPUs and GPUs are pretty much pushed to the limit from the mfr, or they have boost algorithms to achieve the same thing. The best thing you can do is to validate lower operating voltages which will reduce power/heat/noise and/or increase frequency as the boost algorithm sees that the power limit hasn't yet been reached.