Question Older system "select proper boot device error" but still boots sometimes

cyruscloud

Commendable
Sep 28, 2019
Have about a 6 year old system with some upgrades a couple years back. Hoping someone can help me narrow down my particular issue.

Recently started PC up as normal but received the "reboot and select proper boot device error", After numerous attempts it did start up eventually. Shutting down and starting again, same thing but eventually started up again. Run all day, next day same issue, 10 or so attempts to boot and it will boot eventually. I've opened it up and checked HDD cables were in well, have 3, boot drive is an SSD and two others are normal HDD. I run a disk check from in windows on the boot drive and detected no errors. Created a windows installer on a flash drive, booted from it, had it attempt a repair boot and was told no errors detected.

When it has failed to boot I've went into bios and seen the correct drive in there listed as first boot device. However since this started at a period where I wasn't feeling well I can't remember at this point whether it ever changed between boot attempts or not. For last 3 days I've just left the PC on and it has run fine the entire time, no errors or anything.

I understand the error is from it not finding my boot drive or boot sector on the drive one. But I'm not certain on why it works sometimes and most of the time not, and the system operates fine once booted. There hasn't been a recent windows update or anything and I have changed any hardware for a couple years, so no recent major changes.

SSD is a SAMSUNG 840 SERIES
Motherboard is a GIGABYTE X79-UP4

Hoping someone might can narrow down the problem for me a bit before I go opening it up again.