[SOLVED] OLED Display, ways to mitigate burn in.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I just got a new Gigabyte Auros OLED display and was wondering if there are good techniques to mitigate burn-in. Right now I am using auto-hide task bar, full screen start menu to completely hide the taskbar, and turn off display after 5 minutes of idle. I am running a 2nd display so I can't use tablet mode. I am also running applications in fullscreen whenever possible. But I can't get rid of the scroll bar on web browsers.

Solution
Long time LG OLED user here (B6P); here are the lessons I learned the hard way:

1: For the love of god, TURN DOWN THE OLED BACKLIGHT! This is without exception the easiest thing you can do to extend the life of the panel. I ran mine at 100 for a year, and that resulted in my windows taskbar (which I hadn't set to auto-minimize) to permanently burn in. I've been running on 30 [believe it or not, you adjust faster then you think] for four years since then, with only very minor panel damage despite using the set for several hours a day every day for four years (and most of the damage since then can be attributed to almost two years of WFH, which is OLED's "worst case" usage).

[Note: The B6P was before LG put in a lot of extra...

1: For the love of god, TURN DOWN THE OLED BACKLIGHT! This is without exception the easiest thing you can do to extend the life of the panel. I ran mine at 100 for a year, and that resulted in my windows taskbar (which I hadn't set to auto-minimize) to permanently burn in. I've been running on 30 [believe it or not, you adjust faster then you think] for four years since then, with only very minor panel damage despite using the set for several hours a day every day for four years (and most of the damage since then can be attributed to almost two years of WFH, which is OLED's "worst case" usage).

[Note: The B6P was before LG put in a lot of extra anti-burn-in tech into their panels. I can't personally speak to those, though I have seen people over at avsforum claim to have used B7P's as PC displays since launch with no sign of burn-in.

Also note despite playing a ton of strategy games, I've never had a problem with any overlays burning in, especially since I turned down the OLED light.]

2: All black screensaver with just a few minutes turn-on will help extend lifetime a bit; same with a short (15-30 minutes) turn off time. [Granted, most OLED TVs have a built-in screensaver that should fire, but better safe then sorry].

I will say OLEDs are awesome at both displaying images and for being insanely fast for gaming purposes, but they "do" require a bit more care then most PC users are used to. But based on my B6P usage, with moderate care you should be able to get a good 5+ years out of an OLED panel if cared for. Hopefully, MicroLEDs will be a thing by then and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Solution

[Note: The B6P was before LG put in a lot of extra anti-burn-in tech into their panels. I can't personally speak to those, though I have seen people over at avsforum claim to have used B7P's as PC displays since launch with no sign of burn-in.

Also note despite playing a ton of strategy games, I've never had a problem with any overlays burning in, especially since I turned down the OLED light.]

2: All black screensaver with just a few minutes turn-on will help extend lifetime a bit; same with a short (15-30 minutes) turn off time. [Granted, most OLED TVs have a built-in screensaver that should fire, but better safe then sorry].

I will say OLEDs are awesome at both displaying images and for being insanely fast for gaming purposes, but they "do" require a bit more care then most PC users are used to. But based on my B6P usage, with moderate care you should be able to get a good 5+ years out of an OLED panel if cared for. Hopefully, MicroLEDs will be a thing by then and you'll have the best of both worlds.

I found this while checking to see if it's safe to run my usual blank screensaver that I've used on my IPS on my new OLED as well. So good to know that it is, though I'm pretty sure OLEDs don't really have "backlights" per se. It is called OLED Pixel Brightness because being as they are self emissive, need no backlighting.

I was running my OPB at 50 btw, I'll try 30, but it looks a tad dark (maybe just need to adjust as you say). That's with Gamma at 2.4, but at 2.2 it looks too washed out.

Last edited: