When I place the mouse on an icon, a window opens and explains what to do.
What is this window called, and how do I turn it off?

I think (I may be wrong about what you are wanting) what you want is in the
Folder Options located in the Control Panel.
VIEW tab >> uncheck Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items

J.W.

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:29:05 -0700, AV8 wrote:

> When I place the mouse on an icon, a window opens and explains what to do.
> What is this window called, and how do I turn it off?

Is it a small window? Rectangular with a light border? These are "infotips"
or "comments." You can turn most of them off using various settings:

Control Panel (classic view)>Folder Options> View. Uncheck the following:
-display file size information in folder tips
-show pop-up description for folders and desktop items

For shortcuts or other files that display a comment, right click and select
Properties. If the "Comment" section is accessible, remove the text from it
using the delete and/or backspace key. Then click OK.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User