"One or more network protocols missing..."

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ngale

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
I have a Lenovo Z575 laptop w/ Windows 10.

I recently updated to Windows 10 a couple months ago and everything was fine up until recently. I've been having this issue the past couple of days where I try to load up a webpage, it states that connection has timed out, so I use the Troubleshoot Problems option for my wifi, and it gives me the statement "One or more network protocols are missing". I used the "netsh int ip reset" command in the Command Prompt, and that seemed to work at first, but yesterday it happened again, only this time, it seems to pick and choose what pages load.

Can someone give me any advice as to what else I can do? Thanks!

Solution
Hello Ngale,

If you haven't fixed this then I may be able to help.

Most forums and even Microsoft support will say that this is a problem with Windows System files but sometimes it's not which is why 'sfc /scannow' won't show anything. It is actually a problem with the protocols but no one thinks that was as no one uninstalls them manually before this error appears.

Go to Settings -> Network & Internet -> Ethernet (I don't use Wi-Fi so if Wi-Fi is an option, try it) -> Change adapter options -> Right-click the one you are having issues with -> Properties -> Install... -> Protocol -> Install what is there (For me I had one called 'Reliable Multicast Protocol' so I installed that. I haven't found this solution elsewhere so I don't know...

Elli__expedition1

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

Elli__expedition1

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
Hi Strid3r_2442,
I used your "fix" to install an old (2011 Brother MFC-J410W) wireless printer. I followed your easy instructions and Viola! Computer was able to "find" the printer and few seconds later - Printer installed!!! Thank you so much.

jpmwolf91

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

I had this error and eventually came across this program WinsockReset, (http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/winsockreset.html)

it completely fixed the problem for me. What a friggin' JOKE this problem was too.
It just overwrites the winsock registry files with fresh ones that would come from a brand new install of whatever windows version you are using.

Johnk860

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

Johnk860

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
first thing, Hold the Windows key and press R, then type in the Run dialog box, ncpa.cpl. This will bring up your network adapter settings. Click on the network adapter you're dealing with, then click adapter settings. Scroll down and disable IVP6. then disable and re-enable your adapter and see if you have a connection again. If that doesn't work, goto http://appuals.com/best-fix-one-or-more-network-protocols-are-missing/ and spend some time following instructions. Hint: I figured this solution was too easy, so I skipped it (it was #1) and did some others before I went back and started and the beginning and... dammmit! it worked. Good luck.

tatemike

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
The multicast thing worked me in Windows 10 after fresh install and no internet. View Network Connections > Wifi properties > Install > protocol > multicast... > OK > close, etc. > reset wi-fi (or right click tray icon wifi and troubleshoot; a reset will probably automatically be done) > internet immediately works without reboot!

gmarr

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015

I just had this issue with a client. Client had malware which may or may not have been the issue, however, when I changed from dynamic to a static IP address the issue was resolved...not solved so much as the client now has Internet access. Suggested that they run Malwarebytes to see if this might have been a redirect malware issue.

logbomb

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Hi There

I'm having this problem for a long time, but not with my WiFi, with my Ethernet connection.

Ethernet worked perfectly on my PC for about 2 months and then I started having this issue. I switched to WiFi and it works perfectly and since I never found an answer that helped my online, I decided to keep using the WiFi.

However, the other day I found this answer and am trying to apply it to my problem.

However, when I click Properties, I can see "Reliable Multicast Protocol" selected and when I click Install Protocol, the only Protocol on the list is the "Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch" which I can't install because "The specified module could not be found".

Should I unistall the Reliable Multicast Protocol and attempt to install again? If so, is there a risk that I cannot install it back? I'm afraid to lose my WiFi as well.

Could my problem be with the "Hyper-V..." protocol? If so, is there any workaround to install it?

I''ve bought an USB-Ethernet adapter in hopes it would fix t he issue but it also doesn't.

Any other ideas of what I could try?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ssg_Ramir3z

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016

Larry_90

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Go to Settings -> Network & Internet -> Ethernet (I don't use Wi-Fi so if Wi-Fi is an option, try it) -> Change adapter options -> Right-click the one you are having issues with -> Properties -> Install... -> Protocol -> Install what is there (For me I had one called 'Reliable Multicast Protocol' so I installed that. I haven't found this solution elsewhere so I don't know what it'll be for you.) -> Then your done!

comm3000

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017
I updated the driver by installing USB wireless card, connecting to internet and update driver from Device Manager. WORKED instantly.

DELL Precision T1700

TRENDING THREADS