OnePlus One Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The OnePlus One has an off-contract price starting at only $299, but don’t call this smartphone cheap. Hiding behind the OnePlus One’s 5.5-inch HD screen is some high-end hardware.

OnePlus One Review : Read more

Mike Coberly

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
So the device itself supports the CDMA bands, but is not compatible with one of the major CDMA carriers here in the US? What a shame. :( This could easily replace my now aging Galaxy Note 3.

Memory Ever

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
Summary is all kind of noise voice out because it's a China phone.
If this is a phone from Apple, people will only ask when they can buy it. They don't real care about of the specification.

This is the different.

Got one for my wife, she loves it, esp. that she doesn't have to keep an eye on the battery icon anymore. This thing will run forever... Getting another one for myself.
For about USD 350 you can't really do any better. They could sell it for 550-600, but they won't.
CM12 (Lollipop- based) is around the corner.

Only thing they botched really big was the sales; this phone had a huge potential to when first launched, but making it almost impossible to buy doesn't help.

As owner of three 1+1 phones [two 16 gigs, one 64 gig] I'm heavily dissapointed with this phone. I really loved the Crysis Music trailer, and there I decided to go for this phone.

Things that really dissapointed me are:

- display is yellowish, at least was on all three pieces I owned
- it's made out of cheap plastics, I don't care it feels "great", I wanted metalic phone, like they said it's gonna be in the beginning
- one of the pieces was doing purplish photos
- it's way too big
- CM is fine, but still misses some of the basic features offered by 3rd party GUi from Samsung/HTC, which are in my eyes normal [which sounds totally derp]
- RMAing the 1+1 is a hell, You need to send it back, wait and stuff, thank You, but no

In general I bought the first one for 290 euro, second one for 250 euro, and third one for 390 euro, which are pretty good prices in my country for these phones, and all were a disaster :\

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
This is what Nexus 6 should have been - price-wise. Watch out Google here's OnePlus. Too bad, you'll need an invitation to get one, why not invite me instead if I give them my e-mail; this just show that the company don't have much stocks to share to every, I suppose? and that pink wall paper reminds me of Ubuntu. I like the black one if I can get my hands on one... or two.

Karksken

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
Can you use this one as phone too or is it just a tablet(review). Smartguys please give us on smartPHONES also the real info as Phone quality, connection quality, e.a. info when you get the out of memory error when there is still a lot of mem available and you SIM is disconnected. How does the apps interact with the phone part.

D A

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
The invites are easy to get with a little patience. I just bought three of them in the last tow weeks. All my invites I got where from google + where previous buyers are giving out the invites hourly. Jut go onto Google plus and do a search for "Oneplus Invite", then click "MOST RECENT". be patient and keep refreshing and be ready to respond to a post where someone is offering an invite... respond with your email address that you would like one. I did this for all three of my invites, there was only one person that did not send me the invite. I was able to get all the invites within an hour.

4745454b

Titan
I love mine. I have the case for it which I don't like. Blocks the notification light, feels like it's about to break already on the seem that flips open, corners are already chipped/broken after two drops, etc. But I love the feel of the 64GB/Black backing. The reviews are right, while it's plastic it's a good plastic that doesn't feel like its about to fall out of your hand.

I didn't get one with the yellow screen. As I understand it the problem has to do with incorrect settings in CM11. Oneplus on their forums had steps you should take to adjust the gamma to make it whiter. I haven't hand any camera lock ups or incorrect touches either. My biggest problem with the phone part are bad photos in bright light/outside, and REALLY quiet call volume on speaker. The latter went away with an update. The former might be correctable if I understood the camera settings. To be honest I don't take a lot of outside pics so it doesn't bother me that much.

The only real competition for this phone that I can think of is the 4G Moto G which is $230ish. Considering the difference in specs its worth the extra $70ish + If you hate large phones then obviously this isn't for you. Frankly I'd like to get a 7"+ phone so I only have to carry one device with me everywhere.

Edit: I forgot to mention you can find these on Swappa. That's how I got mine. It should have been $350 + I think another $15 for the flip open case. Counting tax and shipping it would have cost me ~$380? ish? I got mine on Swappa for $410. Counting the shipping and swappa fee he made a bit of money, but nothing crazy. There were plenty of $500+ phones, but you can sort by price. ;)

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I've had the OPO since around two weeks after it launched and then purchased another one for the girlfriend. Our experience has been nothing short of amazing.
The screen size, while big, is handled with ease thanks to the curved back and the phone works smooth as butter.

I've haven't had any issue with mine, no yellow screen, no random reboots, nothing of those problems reported by some. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that they don't happen on all of the units. My gf's one had a random reboot issue which was fixed by an update and hasn't had any problem since then.

I love it as a phone as the sound is loud and clear and apparently the other side can hear me perfectly fine as well. No reception issues to report on neither unit.

The camera works fine for me. I'm no pro photographer and I'd be delusional to think I can get superb results with a phone camera. The pictures are good enough to keep and learning how to use the camera settings helps too.

The battery lasts forever. No need to worry about it and using the charger the phone gets full in something like an hour and a half.

I really love my phone. I've been having an excellent experience with it and at a superb price.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Great review Matt, very thorough. I bought a 64GB 1+ for the wife when they had the October pre-sale. They had issues getting it billed correctly through PayPal, and I was in limbo for 4-5 days while they figured it out. I wasn't too stressed. If I didn't get it, I didn't just drop $400. :D My initial shipping time was like 4-5 weeks. They fixed their problem and had it shipped to me within two weeks. Very good.

The phone is very nice. I also purchased the clear case - nice, but not much grip to it. The basic screen protector - don't waste your money. There are sticker tabs that you are supposed to pull off once in place. They were a pain in the ass to remove and I had to clean sticker residue off. Just get one off Amazon. There is a tempered glass one that has good reviews.

The phone itself seems to have a slight problem with it. The glass was not fully glued on the bottom right along the edge. I thought it might be bubble in the screen protector, but it wasn't. I could probably go through their RMA process, but it isn't impacting the phone's screen, yet. She is fine with using it as is, but I told her if it spreads, we are going to RMA. Everything else has been great with it. I'd buy myself one if it wasn't so damn big. I'll stick with my Nexus 4 for another year.

rmva346

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
So, this phone is now roughly 8 months old. Why is it just now being compared to the other flagships that came our most recently, within 1 and 2 months? Why was this phone not reviewed half a year ago? This sucks and is too late. Clearly, the phone was literally a flagship killer in April of 2014, not even counting the price. This is like comparing the last year's R9 290X to the GTX 980 and GTX 970 and then stating that R9 290X isn't the "flagship" card...

Ole Jensen

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Not sure why people complain about the invite system, it's pretty easy to get one, I just jumped on the public offering in october, and got one easy. For the money, it's not a bad phone, but it's not a great as it's cracked up to be, there is a reason why it's cheap. I (And several others according to the forum) have had issues with the screen. It sort of flickers a little sometimes, a reboot fixes that. The screen is also sometimes hard to read in bright conditions compared to what I'm used to. Also the lag/misinterpretation of the touchscreen as described in this article, is VERY annoying.

Another thing. As some mention, the specs are not stellar anymore, this is already an old phone, and compared to the iPhone 6 Plus it feels old. The old saying is you get what you pay for. Well with the One, you might get a little more than you paid for, but it's not so much that it rivals the new flagship phones.

If you decide to get one, get a screen protector. The screen is very brittle, and when it breaks, it's almost certain doom for the phone. The glass shatters in a way Corning Gorilla Glass would never do, and it also most often destroys the functionality of the screen. Reading through the forum, comparing to how many have actually bought one, there are surprisingly many cases of smashed screens. A drop of 1 feet (On hard surfaces), has destroyed quite a few Ones. And the RMA is a nightmare. It takes forever to get it fixed, and the screens are a lot more expensive that getting a Note 4 or iPhone fixed, factoring in transport etc.

nipsip

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
OnePlus has the absolute worst after sale customer service of any mobile handset manufacturer plus their warranty period is a joke. If you have a problem with this phone and want it repaired, buy another phone because you will not get if fixed or replaced in an acceptable time frame (say 60 days). RMAs can take weeks and they have just added India to the market, so take that under consideration. You are far better off paying more for say the Moto X for peace of mind in customer service. Also you cannot read text messages on the Mercedes Benz like you can with other devices like Moto X, iPhone, Galaxy.

Dec 5, 2014
I read all the specs and reviews and it seems more than worth it. The few semi-negative reviews sounded like disgruntled iPhone users. Their complaints didn't seem to be upheld by other owners. For $299, it's well above its class. I guess if the price meant nothing, I'd likely go with the Nexus 6, but cost DOES matter, especially when the 'flagship' phones SHOULD be between $400 and $500!

4745454b

Titan
More or less exactly James. Point out any new phone that has similar specs for $300. Anyone? If you want a 1080 quad core phone with a 13MP camera, I know of only one that costs $300. The Nexus phones are nice, but you aren't getting one with similar specs for $300.

nipsip

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Good price, horrible customer service, hope you get one that works and does not need an RMA. They charge big money for shipping on an RMA.

nipsip

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Prior to buying this phone go to the OP technical service forum and read the complaints about not only problems with the phone but about the quality of customer service. I bought an OP and it was DOA and it took me two weeks to get an RMA and if you are beyond the 14 day, then there are going to be shipping charges. Despite doing exactly what they instructed for the shipment to TNT Express, they refused to refund my money, even though I had the proof of delivery. Fortunately thru PayPal, I put the charge on AMEX and within 3 day of filing a complaint, both PayPal and OP were all to happy to refund my money.
I purchased a Moto X for a $140 discount on Cyber Monday which made the cost the same as the OP. Even if you cannot get the $140 discount, if you have an .edu email address you can get a $50 discount.
It would never occur to me to purchase anything from OP ever again based on my personal experience.

4745454b

Titan
I already bought the 1+.

If you can get that discount then maybe. But it has a smaller screen (which you might actually like), less storage space, less ram, lower front facing cam, and a smaller battery. I use my phone a USB drive so I need as much space as I can get. That's a lot of less for more money. If you missed out on the sale and don't have an .edu address (which most people don't.) then I wouldn't consider the Moto X to be a good deal. Again, the Moto G is the closest competitor on price, but gives up even more then the Moto X does.

I love my 1+, but the only phone I'd really want more is the G3. Or a 7"+ Tab that supports a SIM. I like large phones with lots of storage space. I'd love a 7" or 10" phone. (This way I only carry one device with me.)

jberb

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
As owner of three 1+1 phones [two 16 gigs, one 64 gig] I'm heavily dissapointed with this phone. I really loved the Crysis Music trailer, and there I decided to go for this phone.

Things that really dissapointed me are:

- display is yellowish, at least was on all three pieces I owned
- it's made out of cheap plastics, I don't care it feels "great", I wanted metalic phone, like they said it's gonna be in the beginning
- one of the pieces was doing purplish photos
- it's way too big
- CM is fine, but still misses some of the basic features offered by 3rd party GUi from Samsung/HTC, which are in my eyes normal [which sounds totally derp]
- RMAing the 1+1 is a hell, You need to send it back, wait and stuff, thank You, but no

In general I bought the first one for 290 euro, second one for 250 euro, and third one for 390 euro, which are pretty good prices in my country for these phones, and all were a disaster :\
Just got the one. There's no yellowish tint. Display is wonderful. As far as build quality it's good. Company never said metallic anything. It's silk and sandstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.