Question ongoing ping spikes and packet loss

Aug 1, 2024
Hello,
as the title states I have been having very bad ping spikes and packet loss for the past 2 - 3 weeks and I can not seem to troubleshoot it. I have restarted my modem multiple times, I tried to factory rest the modem and disconnected all the devices that was connected to the wifi but none of the solutions worked. I've tried pinging www.google.com in command prompt and I get random ping spikes about every 30 seconds to 1 minute. the ping spikes can range from 120ms - 2200ms but exceeding 1000ms is rare. Ping plotter shows crazy packet loss and I'm not sure what to do about it.

network:
Type: Rogers 1.5 Gigabit Ignite Internet
Modem: Rogers XB7
Router: TP-Link Archer AX80
Connection: Cat 6 Ethernet connected to PC
Speed: 939.25 Mbps download 41.07 Mbps upload

PC:

Motherboard: ROG Strix B650-a
CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Ram: DDR5 6000
GPU: Nvidea 4070 ti

PingPlotter Results to www.google.com:
View: https://imgur.com/a/7L00wdR

from "ping www.google.com -n 100":
Ping statistics for 172.217.1.4:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 1570ms, Average = 40ms

from "tracert www.google.com":
1 * <1 ms * 1xx.xxx.x.x
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 24 ms 16 ms 24 ms 8021-dgw02.nmkt.rmgt.net.rogers.com [2x.xxx.xxx.xxx]
4 20 ms 24 ms 16 ms 100-0-18-0-5-cgw01.ym.rmgt.net.rogers.com [2x.xxx.x.xx]
5 16 ms 18 ms 15 ms 209.148.235.218
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 25 ms 17 ms 29 ms 192.178.98.195
8 32 ms 16 ms 16 ms 172.253.69.115
9 75 ms 26 ms 16 ms yyz10s17-in-f4.1e100.net [142.251.33.164]

Trace complete.

Everything you have posted shows no problems. Not uncommon for intermittent problems.

Pingplotter should have a required training that shows what issue really look like.

When you get loss in the middle but no loss to the end node this is testing error. Obviously you can't have 100% loss at a hop you would never see the nodes past it. There are a couple reasons you see this issue mostly the router is configured to prevent denial of service attacks so it will ignore some ping and trace packets so it doesn't impact the cpu.

It would be nice if hop 2 responded. That is the most common point of issue and represents the connection between your house and the ISP.

So pretty much it is manually do what pingplotter is doing. First run ping to the final node like 8.8.8.8 and to your router which is hop 1. You should never see delay or loss to your router. You then start to work your way up the hops. Again hop 2 would be nice. Hop 3 though is still inside your ISP network. Problem is it is hard to say if the problem is with connection to your house or something between hop 2 and hop 3.

You can keep trying higher number hops but eventually you will leave your ISP and what can you possibly do if you find the problem is in say googles network.

Aug 1, 2024
Everything you have posted shows no problems. Not uncommon for intermittent problems.

Pingplotter should have a required training that shows what issue really look like.

When you get loss in the middle but no loss to the end node this is testing error. Obviously you can't have 100% loss at a hop you would never see the nodes past it. There are a couple reasons you see this issue mostly the router is configured to prevent denial of service attacks so it will ignore some ping and trace packets so it doesn't impact the cpu.

It would be nice if hop 2 responded. That is the most common point of issue and represents the connection between your house and the ISP.

So pretty much it is manually do what pingplotter is doing. First run ping to the final node like 8.8.8.8 and to your router which is hop 1. You should never see delay or loss to your router. You then start to work your way up the hops. Again hop 2 would be nice. Hop 3 though is still inside your ISP network. Problem is it is hard to say if the problem is with connection to your house or something between hop 2 and hop 3.

You can keep trying higher number hops but eventually you will leave your ISP and what can you possibly do if you find the problem is in say googles network.
Yea hop 1 has no ping issues/PL, hop 2 has ping spikes, hop 3 is unreachable so I did another ping test to 8.8.8.8
Hop 2:
Ping statistics for 9x.xxx.xx.x:
Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 129ms, Average = 25ms
"ping 8.8.8.8 -n 100":
Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 288ms, Average = 32ms

I guess its good that hop 2 will talk to you. Problem is the ISP will have issues fixing lag spikes. If you get packet loss it generally means there is something defective. Signal level issues or maybe broken equipment.

When you get latency it means data is being held in a buffer someplace. This is almost always due to some load issue. The ISP will never admit they oversold the network segment going to the houses near you.

Although it is very uncommon now days be very sure you are not using 100% of the bandwidth you buy. Most times it is upload that you exceed....or maybe microsoft is download its stupid auto update patch. Was much more a issue when people had well under 100mbps internet connections.

Aug 1, 2024
I guess its good that hop 2 will talk to you. Problem is the ISP will have issues fixing lag spikes. If you get packet loss it generally means there is something defective. Signal level issues or maybe broken equipment.

When you get latency it means data is being held in a buffer someplace. This is almost always due to some load issue. The ISP will never admit they oversold the network segment going to the houses near you.

Although it is very uncommon now days be very sure you are not using 100% of the bandwidth you buy. Most times it is upload that you exceed....or maybe microsoft is download its stupid auto update patch. Was much more a issue when people had well under 100mbps internet connections.
quick question but how would I know that I'm not using 100% of the bandwidth I buy?