OnLive is Now Free to Play With No Monthly Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
TBH it is actually a pretty good service... But i wouldn't buy a game on there i may do a rental (which is cool!)

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
This is a great idea and their deals are good enough to rival Steam in some cases. Just a few days ago they announced you can play any game free for a limited time. Too bad they dont care about Puerto Rico.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
This does not compete Steam cause Steam just distributes games. Bottom line please don't enforce cloud computing on us cause people don't want cloud computing.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Bottom line please don't enforce cloud computing on us cause people don't want cloud computing.[/citation]

While many people don't, the big companies sure do. They don't want us to own anything. After all, you may be able to convert your old stuff to new formats and not re-buy everything in the new format.

nologo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
its a great service tbh..i would actually consider buying from this service. you can play the demos for free (all games have 30min demo)

nologo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
i was abit worried at first..but its friggin amazing..hooked my hdmi notebook up 2 my tv as well and played it via that. really great. just need a bluetooth dongle to use my ps3 pad

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I was given access to the service as a randomly chosen "founding member", and I have to admit it works a lot better than I thought it would. The Wi-Fi compatibility that they added in also works well if your connection is fast enough. I would definitely be up for renting a game on this service, if I happen to be at home for a while where we have a fast connection.

Unfortunately though, this sounds a lot like it might be the service's dying breath. I don't know much about their business success/failure at the moment, but they are pushing price cuts and free days and what not frantically lately. Good service, I just don't know if it has a niche here in the U.S. yet.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I think it will take quite a while before i rather have software elsewhere than installed on my own rig, everyone have heard about the Ubisoft DRM who requires the user to stay online to even play singleplayer and what its users have to say about it when their game can't connect to the servers ect.

This requires you to stay online at all times as well. The internet of today sinply arent stable enough to ensure 100% interuption/lag free game enviroment. A single dos attack would make EVERY player unable to play their games.

Cloudcomputing is a great idea however the link between the server and the client is the weak link, especially in game enviroment where latency and disconects are fatal!

NO THX - Even if its free!

nologo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]I think it will take quite a while before i rather have software elsewhere than installed on my own rig, everyone have heard about the Ubisoft DRM who requires the user to stay online to even play singleplayer and what its users have to say about it when their game can't connect to the servers ect.This requires you to stay online at all times as well. The internet of today sinply arent stable enough to ensure 100% interuption/lag free game enviroment. A single dos attack would make EVERY player unable to play their games. Cloudcomputing is a great idea however the link between the server and the client is the weak link, especially in game enviroment where latency and disconects are fatal!NO THX - Even if its free![/citation]
have you tried it?dont comment without trying it.. its really impressive tbh.. although i think its a few years before it can fully go.
TRY THE DEMO'S AND THEN COMMENT

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I've tried it out on my pc that only uses integrated graphics. It works just like advertisaed, which really surprised me. The graphics are a little soft though. But the aspect of not even having a game on my hard drive is what really bothers me. If the service closes down, then all the money spent is gone. At least with Steam and other download services, there are cracks available that let me keep the product if it ever comes to that. I do use it to play demos and I may even rent a game or two when I have more time. But I will never "buy" a game on this service.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]This does not compete Steam cause Steam just distributes games. Bottom line please don't enforce cloud computing on us cause people don't want cloud computing.[/citation]

Enforce...? Nobodies "enforcing" anything. They're offering a service. Oh wait, its another Dunkin Donuts! They're enforcing cinnamon glazed muffins upon you! What a world what a world o0o0...Whats up with all the tinfoil hattery and conspiracy BS lately?

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
It's not a horrible service, but you need to have a decent connection. Testing on both my 50MB connection at home and my friend's 3MB the big difference came in the issues of video artifacting (digital tiliing to be precise) and some occasionaly slow control response on his connection.

I had no issues with mine, but I also wonder if it had something to do with the location and load of their servers. I'm not 100% sure of where the server I was connecting to was located, I think they only have 2 or 3 clusters across the country.

Picture wasn't bad, seems a little blurry to me (was running it on my 46" TV) but I'm not aware what the quality of the feed was (1080p, 720p), there wasn't any option to view or change it.

Not a bad program for people who travel a lot in their work and don't want to haul around a 15-20lb desktop replacement, as long as they can get on a strong network. Otherwise as a home option, meh, if you can afford a fast connection (AKA the premium and up tiers) at about $50/mo and up for your net to have reliability on this service, you can probably afford an at least halfway decent gaming rig.

nologo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
i got a 20mb connection running it from the UK..just heard from the support team because i was getting a error message about latency..apprently it should only be accessible by folks in US :) who cares about bandwidth requirements..everyone has at least 20mb

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Instead of ignorantly bashing the service, like many here are, just try it out.

I have used it on occasion and even rented a few games for my nephews and the service works good for me.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I have tried it out I'm one of the founding members. the lack of games, the time it takes them to get the new releases is too long. the lag is really bad for me even with solid cable internet. Try playing a FPS with 1000+ ping...its not a very good experience.

Cool technology for sure, but i don't think its quite there yet. until we all have crazy fast internet that is cheap you're better off just building a a cheap gaming computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.