[SOLVED] Only 4 cores getting too hot in 8 core laptop processor

pcloverbutnomoney

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
https://linustechtips.com/uploads/monthly_2021_07/image.png.5e5ec54ef0819c7c172cf2e43589294e.png

image.png.5e5ec54ef0819c7c172cf2e43589294e.png

I ran multiple tests and it's always the core 4, 5, 6, and 7 who reaches the highest temps in my laptop during the stress test (100% load) other 4 cores are at a comfortable range (95 C is the throttle limit) every time. It kinda feels strange that the load is 100% across all CPUs and clock speed is also the same as below image

image.png.f308513ba22575a207776a7164e2c592.png

Is this a problem with heat dissipation or this is how the intel i9 CPUs work on laptops?

Solution
Hey there,

As I understand it, Intel advise that there can be up to a 10c per core variance on multi core CPU's. So it's within parameters.

It could also be a poor application of thermal paste on the CPU, which does happen. If it was really bothering you, you can replace the thermal paste with something like Noctua NH T1. A good application can reduce the per core variance and bring them more aligned.
Hey there,

As I understand it, Intel advise that there can be up to a 10c per core variance on multi core CPU's. So it's within parameters.

It could also be a poor application of thermal paste on the CPU, which does happen. If it was really bothering you, you can replace the thermal paste with something like Noctua NH T1. A good application can reduce the per core variance and bring them more aligned.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcloverbutnomoney
Solution
Watch this video before recommending Noctua NT-H1 in a laptop.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrtkiBwQV-U

Thanks for the input. However, I don't allow a video of some guy recommending TG Hydronaut, to sway my opinions. The Noctua paste is highly recommended, as one of the best budget pastes going. Simples. It has a high thermal conductivity rating, and is an excellent laptop paste. I can personally vouch for it, and can confirm there is no pump out effect, at least on my laptop. Maybe look at some recent guides like this one: Best Thermal Paste for CPUs 2021: 90 Pastes Tested and Ranked | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com) might illustrate that better.

Of course, there are exceptions, and no one can account for how the paste may have been applied in the first instance.

Have you got a gaming laptop? Have you tried different pastes to judge how effective they are?

I've tried a few different pastes now, and Noctua is better than both Artic MX4, Silver 5, CM Master Gel. Am working on getting Gelid Extreme and a TG paste to test too.

pcloverbutnomoney

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
I replaced it with condctonaut and the thermals are well under control now. While gaming it's now around 82 - 88 C where it used to be 90 - 95 C(throttle limit) all the time even with less load also I was able to undervolt up to -105 mv stable previously it's only -50mv and anything above it'll crash. Also, there are no high per core temp variations now.

I replaced it with condctonaut and the thermals are well under control now. While gaming it's now around 82 - 88 C where it used to be 90 - 95 C(throttle limit) all the time even with less load also I was able to undervolt up to -105 mv stable previously it's only -50mv and anything above it'll crash. Also, there are no high per core temp variations now.

Excellent. Result :) Happy gaming :)

Reactions: pcloverbutnomoney