Only one core working on Q6600

NashX

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Hi all,

At some point yesterday, my computer began to fail to recognise the other three cores on my Q6600 computer. It is a self-built system that's worked perfectly for about three months now, and this error occured during a period of normal usage. I've checked the BIOS, but there doesn't seem to be any clear way of knowing whether it recognises all the cores on the CPU. Task Manager, CPU-Z and SpeedFan all see only one core. I've repaired the installation using the Windows XP disc, and flashed the BIOS to the latest version, both to no avail. Virus scans by avast, and malware scans by Ad-aware both show nothing.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P31-S3G with latest BIOS
CPU: Q6600, E0-stepping

To any who can help, thanks.

t85us

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
download a live linux cd (ubuntu is the most simple) burn it, and boot from it. check in the linux live cd's task manager if u have 4 cores.
if u got them , remove you M$ completely and reinstall

i got the same problem, and not the cpu was the faulty. i have amd. since that i'm almoast always using linux. M$ proved once again that it's cr@p

gunshy

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I had a similar problem when i was installing vista the first time, it only recognized one core on q6600. It took me a little over a month to realize that one of the cores was malfunctioning and that's why windows/linux saw only one core out of four. Since i had an OEM, i had to buy a new processor. Since the cores worked before, it could be something else. You can force your PC to reload HAL, to recognize all the cores, using msconfig. I only know how to do this for vista...1- msconfig in search 2- select boot (you can check the box next to "OS boot info" to see what the hell is loading), advanced options, check detect hal, apply and restart. If your comp freezes during boot, i'm pretty sure one of the processors if busted. I hope your warranty is still good. Good luck.

NashX

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
OK, things seem to be OK now. I loaded up the recovery console from the CD, and did a "bootcfg /rebuild", and all my cores are back in business. Seems like it could be a temporary thing, but for now it's working. Thanks guys!