[SOLVED] Only One PWM SYS_FAN header on my motherbaord. Can I use multiple splitters?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 11, 2020
Hi! So I have a Gigabyte B450M DS3H Motherboard. It has 1 SYS_FAN 4 pin 12V header, 1 CPU_FAN 4 pin header and 1 CPU_LED 4 pin VGRB header. I wanted to connect three ARGB Antec Prizm 120MM fans and 1 Non-RGB Fan to my system, The Antec ARGB fans use 0.216A max current and the other NON-RGB fan uses 0.2 A max current. My SYS_FAN 4 Pin 12V header is something Gigabyte calls Hybrid Fan Pin Headers and it supports up to 2A.
All Hybrid Fan Headers can automatically detect the type of cooling device whether it be a fan or pump with different PWM or Voltage mode.
So, was thinking to buy a PWM fan splitter and connect 3 ARGB fans to it for power and 1 Non-RGB fan. Will it work? WIll all the fans run properly?

Solution
So, was thinking to buy a PWM fan splitter and connect 3 ARGB fans to it for power and 1 Non-RGB fan. Will it work? WIll all the fans run properly?
Hey, thanks for the info, sorry but I am kinda new to this stuff that's why I didn't know about the Sata thing. And I am buying 3 Antec Prizm fans separately as I don't need the RGB strips and my case, Antec DP501, already came with a ARGB hub pre-installed which I can also control with a button on my case. As for the PWM, I don't mind buying another hub separately as I'm also getting a Deepcool RGB convertor with it. My motherboard only has one SYS_FAN header that's why I need the hub and also it only has one 4 pin 12V VGRB header, so the Deepcool RGB convertor will help me to...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I know that air intake is not so good on my case but I will have to work with what I have right. Although there is a small space on the front of the case which can be used for intake so I'm planning to put three 120mm Non-RGB fans in the front of the case, RGB fan on the rear and 2 RBG fans on the top of the case.
This is your best option. Gives you some intake and plenty of output.
In general filling all fan slots don't add up to better cooling.

For using all fans as blowing out UMM in some case it could be best for actual temps but depends on the actual case used in general not very good since it's dependent on cracks/unmatched panels to suck air in.

EDIT you have the case you have so just use it and if your not having temp problems your all good!!!!!!!! Air moves fairly easy it don't take a lot of space to still be effective it's not like your front panel is completely closed off.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hey, thanks for the info, sorry but I am kinda new to this stuff that's why I didn't know about the Sata thing. And I am buying 3 Antec Prizm fans separately as I don't need the RGB strips and my case, Antec DP501, already came with a ARGB hub pre-installed which I can also control with a button on my case. As for the PWM, I don't mind buying another hub separately as I'm also getting a Deepcool RGB convertor with it. My motherboard only has one SYS_FAN header that's why I need the hub and also it only has one 4 pin 12V VGRB header, so the Deepcool RGB convertor will help me to use my lighting on the case, fans and other peripherals via software.

Umm. Little background maybe. There's a huge difference between RGB and ARGB, please don't get them confused.

If using ARGB, the header on your motherboard is useless, can't be used, as it's a 4pin 12v RGB header. Any and all ARGB will absolutely need to be run through a powered controller that has a USB hookup for software control. You cannot use a non USB controller and use ARGB fans controlled by the header.

The 12v is +, the 3x RGB pins are all grounds. The motherboard controls the Amperage through each individual pin at ground, the higher the amperage the stronger the light output, across every led simultaneously. So if reading RGB at 0.5A/0.0A/0.5A you'd see red bright, green off, blue bright and your eyes will register that as Purple. On every single led connected in the line. This makes Rainbow Impossible.

ARGB has a controller chip next to each led. It gets a constant voltage. The software addresses each chip and sends a pwm signal to each seperate address telling the chip what amperages to allow for each. This seperates each led and makes Rainbow possible.

So the 2 kinds, RGB and ARGB do not mix in any place other than a USB Controller which has its own chips to vary amperages and addresses according to software designs.

But that's just lighting. Has absolutely nothing to do with the fans and speeds. That'll be determined by the type of fan, 3pin or 4pin from the sys_fan header, splitter or fan hub.

First figure out what fans will work best (easiest is pwm 4pin) then figure out RGB or ARGB, then figure out how to control them. And read descriptions, look at pictures. Unfortunately some vendors are lazy pos's when it comes to that, they'll advertise/name their fans RGB, but then show a picture of a fan in Rainbow, which is not RGB, but ARGB.

You ask if rgb and non-rgb fans will work on a 4way powered splitter. Absolutely yes they will. That's fan operation, not lighting operation. The fans will all spin, but that's not a lighting hookup so all you'll get is 4 fans spinning and no lights.

Lighting and fan is 2 different things. An RGB fan is for all intents and purposes nothing more than a non-rgb basic fan with an rgb strip glued to the edge.

Last edited:
Solution